Friday, May 13, 2011

"Loving" dad given 20 years in prison for assaulting 6-week-old daughter (Fredericksburg, Maryland)

Dad CHRISTIAN LETREAL WALLACE will be spending 20 years in prison for inflicting permanent brain damage on his then 6-week-old daughter. Observe that this assault took place the VERY FIRST DAY mom returned to work, and Daddy became a "caretaker."

Notice that his enabler family still insists he's a "loving father." Barf.

Abusive father given 20 years in prison
Man gets 20 years for causing permanent brain damage to his 6-week-old daughter.
Date published: 5/13/2011


A man who caused permanent brain damage by violently shaking his then 6-week-old daughter was ordered yesterday to serve 20 years in prison.

Christian Letreal Wallace, who will turn 23 on Sunday, was sentenced in Stafford Circuit Court to a total of 40 years with 20 years suspended.

Wallace previously pleaded guilty to aggravated malicious wounding and child neglect.

The child, Laticia Nicole Wallace, was critically injured on Aug. 27, 2009, at the hands of her father. She was diagnosed with Shaken Baby Syndrome.

According to doctors and witnesses who testified yesterday, she cannot eat on her own, will never walk or talk and has a short life expectancy.

Laticia, who will turn 2 on July 5, is also on numerous medications and has seizures daily.

Judge J. Martin Bass went above the state sentencing guidelines, which called for a maximum active sentence of 11 years and four months.

Bass cited the "heinous conduct" of Wallace and the devastating impact it had on the child in deciding to exceed the guidelines.

But Bass did not exceed the penalty requested by prosecutor Eric Olsen, who asked the judge to give Wallace a life sentence.

"He all but ended the life of this child," Olsen said. "Laticia will never be free and neither should he."

According to the prosecution's evidence, Jessica Kissling, the baby's mother, returned to work on Aug. 27, 2009, and left the baby alone with Wallace for the first time. The baby was perfectly healthy at the time, Olsen said.

Marcus Kissling, the baby's grandfather, said he came home that night and found Wallace standing over the obviously distressed child, claiming he'd found her like that.

The grandfather called 911, and the baby was flown to the VCU Medical Center. About a week later, the family was told that the child probably would not live.

But the child did survive and is now being cared for by her mother and maternal grandparents. Olsen said the child needs round-the-clock care.

"I cannot put into words the daily heartache and sorrow that my family and I endure," Susan Kissling, the child's grandmother, wrote in a letter to the judge.

"I love Laticia very much and I am heartbroken when I look at her knowing that she will never have a normal life her life has been stolen from her and my family's life has been changed forever."

Wallace's family members who testified on his behalf yesterday described him as a loving father. Wallace has not said what caused him to hurt the baby, and his family members said they haven't asked him.

Wallace yesterday said he was sorry about what happened and that "I loved Laticia with all my heart."