Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Judge to render verdict in case of dad accused of killing 4-month-old daughter (Sioux City, Iowa)

Dad PAUL HILL was "caring" for his 4-month-old daughter when she became unresponsive after a head injury and a blunt force trauma to the abdomen. Daddy waited at least 5 minutes before calling 911. Seems he was "stressed" about work and "unhappy" in his relationship with the baby's mother. So the poor little dear took out his "frustrations" on the baby. What an @$$hole.

Accused dad's case in judge's hands
Story Discussion By Dolly A. Butz -
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:00 am

SIOUX CITY -- The case against a Sioux City man accused of killing his infant daughter was submitted Tuesday to a Woodbury County District Court judge, who will study the evidence and render a verdict.

Paul Hill, 21, has pleaded not guilty to one count each of child endangerment causing death and multiple acts of child endangerment in connection with the death of his daughter, Tryniti Hill. The 4-month-old died after becoming unresponsive the morning of Feb. 17, 2009, while in her father's care.

Judge James Scott is hearing the case in lieu of a jury, at Hill's request. No date has been set for the verdict, which will be read in open court.

Assistant Woodbury County Attorney Jill Esteves told Scott during closing arguments Tuesday that Hill watched as his baby daughter turned blue and stopped breathing and then waited five minutes before calling 911 because he had perpetrated "violent acts" against the child.

"He has a guilty mind. He knows what he did to that baby. He knows that if he calls he's going to incriminate himself," she said.

A head injury and blunt-force trauma were listed on the autopsy report as the cause of Tryniti's death. Woodbury County medical examiner Dr. Thomas Carroll testified during the trial that massive hemorrhaging from artery tears in abdominal tissue likely caused the infant's death.

Esteves said the defendant had motive to commit the crime. He was stressed out at work and unhappy in his relationship with Tryniti's mother, Kayla Hegge, with whom he often fought. Hill took his frustrations out on the baby, chronically abusing her during her short life. When confronted about Tryniti's injuries, Hill blamed the dog, a day-care worker, a rattle and a "killer car seat," according to Esteves.

"The defendant said he hated his child. The defendant was constantly yelling at his child," she said.

Hill's attorney, assistant public defender Mike Williams, said some of the state's witnesses, who loved Tryniti, exaggerated their testimony and that Sioux City police forced Hill to confess during interrogation.

According to Williams, Hill came to believe that he was guilty of killing his daughter based on information doctors and investigators told him after learning of her death.

"They provided the information. They insinuated certain things," Williams said. "Paul was on a slippery slope, and there's no way off."

Williams told Scott that prosecutors did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that his client was responsible for the child's injuries, which he said showed evidence of healing before Feb. 17, 2009.