Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Dad charged with 2nd-degree murder in death of 6-month-old son; baby had burns over more than 80% of body (Baton Rouge, Louisiana)

It's not spelled out here, but I think it is highly likely that CURTIS KING was one of those "stay-at-home" dads--meaning he was basically an unemployed/unemployable deadbeat who did drug dealing rather than support his family with a real job.

These kinds of dudes are typically unable to care for any living thing, especially a baby. They're too vicious, short-tempered, and self-centered.


Father booked in baby's death

Updated 7:12 am, Tuesday, November 19, 2013

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) — Police have arrested a Baton Rouge man in the death of his 6-month-old son.

Police say the father is accused of a pattern of neglect that included placing the baby in scalding bath water that left him with burns on more than 80 percent of his body.

The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/18jaOi4 ) Curtis King, 23, was booked Monday on counts of second-degree murder and second-degree cruelty to a juvenile in the Nov. 6 death of Aiden King.

He also is accused of selling drugs out of his home and storing marijuana in the newborn's closet.

In late May, when Aiden was just a month old, he suffered second- and third-degree burns while in the care of his father, said Sgt. Mary Ann Godawa, a Baton Rouge police spokeswoman.

Placing the baby in the hot water was "a gross deviation below the standard of care expected to be maintained by a reasonable man," Detective Zac Woodring wrote in an arrest document.

Aiden was airlifted to Shriners Hospitals for Children in Galveston, Texas, where he was in critical condition. He survived his wounds but received permanent scarring and had to undergo multiple skin grafts, according to court records.

Despite the burning incident, the child was released at some point to his parents, King and Daria Thomas, Godawa said.

Officers responded to King's residence Oct. 29 after the baby was found unresponsive.

King left the child unattended and behind a closed door on an adult-size bed while King was in another room separating marijuana to sell, authorities said.

The baby was taken to a hospital where he remained on life support until Nov. 6.

It was unclear whether Kings has an attorney.