Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Dad arrested for abusing 3-month-old daughter; baby faces lifetime of brain damage (Glynn County, Georgia)

In many ways, this is a typical abuser daddy story: a baby apparently abused from birth (signs of healing injuries even at 3 months). Fractures including a skull fracture. All because poor Daddy got all frustrated and bashed the baby's head on to a hard object. Just to show everybody how Daddy's Not Happy.

But check out the last line. The authorities don't even know who the mother is! Why? Is this a single dad? A single dad with custody? Or just lots of unsupervised visitation? What?

And how freaking asinine is it to even ASK what Daddy's "motive" was for bashing a 3-month-old infant? Maybe it might be more helpful to ask what Daddy was on parole for, and why this POS was allowed within ten feet of a baby.

Dad is identified as GENOA JAQUAN REED.

Father arrested in child abuse case



The Brunswick News

A 3-month-old girl is in the hospital, facing a lifetime of brain damage, and her 21-year-old father is in jail, accused of causing it.

Glynn County police were called to the Brunswick hospital of Southeast Georgia Health System Thursday after the infant, identified in an arrest warrant for her father as Ma'Kayla Reed, was taken there to treat breathing problems that required her to be placed on a ventilator, Chief Matt Doering said Tuesday.

Doering said doctors discovered she had a fractured skull, neck and several broken ribs, all of which had occurred previously, because they appeared to be healing.

"Three-month-olds typically don't have broken ribs or skull and neck fractures without there being a violent act of some sort," Doering said. Investigators concluded that the injuries were not the result of an accident, he said.

Ma'Kayla's father, Genoa Jaquan Reed, 21, of 185 Highland Park Drive, Glynn County, was arrested Friday and charged with first-degree cruelty to children and aggravated battery.

Police alleged in an arrest warrant that Reed had slammed Ma'Kayla's head into a "hard object with such significant force that Ma'Kayla sustained a broken neck, a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain." He was also charged with probation violations.

The arrest warrant put Reed alone with Ma'Kayla when the injuries occurred.

Doering said Ma'Kayla, who was transported to Memorial Medical Center at Savannah, is alive, but has irreparable brain damage.

It could not be determined Tuesday if other children lived at the house, who Ma'Kayla's mother is and if there was a motive for the alleged assault.