We've reported on this case before. True to Canadian form, it's still an UNNAMED DAD.
Father accused of slashing baby faces second charge
By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald November 5, 2011
A Calgary father accused of slashing his 11-month-old son is now facing a second serious criminal charge.
Crown prosecutor Margot Engley on Friday added aggravated assault to go with the initial charge of attempted murder.
Engley told provincial court Judge Sharon Van de Veen that the matter was fairly involved and was granted a three-week adjournment because "defence and I are having discussions and this gives me enough time to review everything."
Defence lawyer Alain Hepner called it a "very complicated, serious matter," that will take time to consider.
The new charge comes three days after the 32-year-old father was found fit to stand trial after a 60-day stint at the Southern Alberta Forensic Psychiatry Centre under observation by Dr. David Tano.
The accused father cannot be named because it would identify the child.
Police said after the man's arrest, he had been agitated when he was found in a home in the 1000 block of Cranston Drive S.E.
Police arrived there about 4 a.m. on Aug. 13 after receiving a 911 call.
The boy was rushed to hospital suffering slashes to the throat and abdomen. He is expected to fully recover.
Police have said a kitchen knife was used in the attack.
The boy's 26-year-old mother lives in the home, but wasn't inside the residence when the baby was attacked.
The man will be back in court on Nov. 25.