Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dad charged with 1st-degree murder in death of 2-month-old daughter (Lockport, Illinois)

Dad MARK TRUBIANO has been charged with first-degree murder in the death of his 2-month-old daughter. The baby died from head injuries due to blunt force trauma--apparently from being violently shaken.

Family defends dad accused in baby's death
December 30, 2009 4:39 PM

Even as murder charges were filed today, the wife and family of a Lockport man accused of fatally shaking his 2-month-old daughter have no doubt he is innocent, his attorney said.

The family posted the $100,000 needed to free Mark Trubiano, 38, on an aggravated battery charge just hours after his firstborn child Storey Trubiano was declared dead at 12:37 a.m. at Children's Memorial Hospital from head injuries she apparently suffered Monday.

The infant, who was already brain-dead on Tuesday, died of cerebral injuries due to blunt-head trauma from child abuse, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. Her death was ruled a homicide.

Trubiano was in the process of being bonded out when prosecutors upgraded the battery charge to one count of first-degree murder. Judge Robert Livas then increased Trubiano's bond from $1 million to $5 million.

Trubiano slumped into his chair, his hands shackled in front of him, after the judge's decision.
Donald DeWilkins, the family's Orland Park attorney, said Trubiano's "whole family" is supportive of the lifelong Lockport resident.

"He's a grieving father who is being unfairly condemned," DeWilkins said outside the courtroom. "It's a rush to judgment."

The family told him their statements to investigators were "coerced" and twisted to bring charges against the girl's father, he said.

"They took the family in a time of weakness and basically forced him (to make a statement)," DeWilkins said.

Two days after Christmas, paramedics were called to the Trubianos' Lockport home around 7:40 p.m. after receiving a report that an infant wasn't breathing, said Lockport police Lt. Dave Draksler.

The baby was taken to Silver Cross Hospital in Joliet and then to Children's Memorial, he said.

On Monday, a team of investigators was sent to the hospital after Lockport police were told the infant had suffered injuries consistent with "that of a shaken baby," he said.

Authorities declined to comment on the complaints aired by the family's attorney.

DeWilkins declined to say whether the infant had prior health problems or give the family's account of what occurred.

-- Steve Schmadeke