Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dad gets 18 years in prison for killing 1-month-old son (Portland, Oregon)

Dad GABRIEL PHELPS was found guilty of hitting his 1-month-old son in the stomach hard enough to kill him. Why? The baby was "fussy."

http://www.kptv.com/story/15029436/judge-sentences-man-to-18-years-in-jail-for-killing-son

Judge sentences man to 18 years in jail for killing son
Posted: Jul 05, 2011 5:27 PM CDT
Updated: Jul 05, 2011 6:02 PM CDT

PORTLAND, Ore. - On Tuesday, July 5, a judge sentenced Gabriel Phelps to 18 years in prison for manslaughter.

Police arrested him in July 2010 for killing his one-month-old son.

An autopsy showed that 29-day-old Jacoby Phelps died from blunt force trauma to the stomach.

Court documents reveal that Phelps admitted to hitting the baby hard in the stomach because he was fussy.

The galley at Tuesday's sentencing was filled with family members from both sides.

Jacoby's maternal grandmother spoke about how her family has lost a son, nephew, cousin and grandson.

Phelps' father told Fox 12 after court that his family loves and supports him and wishes this never happened.

Phelps spoke to the court today about his remorse.

"I wish I could bring my son back, I let my son down and I let my ex-wife down, and I let so many other people down," said Phelps.

He continued, saying, "Sorry has lost its meaning at this point but I would like to let everyone know who was affected by this that from the bottom of my heart, I am truly sorry."

Phelps attorney said that his client is not an evil man, but instead a man who just made a very big mistake.