Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Dad indicted on reckless manslaughter charges in death of 14-month-old daughter (Florence, Alabama)

Dad is identified as JUSTIN GREEN. No mention of a mother in the home.


Florence man indicted in connection with his daughters death

Posted 2:37 pm, November 10, 2014, by Carter Watkins

FLORENCE, Ala. (WHNT) – A Lauderdale County grand jury has upgraded the charges against a father in connection with the death of his infant daughter.

The indictment was handed down late last week, and the father has again been arrested in the case.

On August 7, 2013 emergency responders were called to apartment 12H at Hermitage Hills Apartments on a report of an infant who was unresponsive.

The 14-month-old’s father told investigators at the time that he found her in a crib with a cord wrapped around her neck.

Almost a year later, 25-year-old Justin Green was arrested for criminally negligent homicide, a misdemeanor.

The grand jury has now upgraded the charge to reckless manslaughter.

“We think this is an appropriate charge. This is a tragic case, an almost infant child was strangled and somebody needs to be held accountable,” said Lauderdale County Assistant District Attorney Will Powell.

Green told Florence Police he had been outside the apartment and went back in to check on the small girl.

Investigators said a cord from a remote-controlled vehicle was found around the child’s neck.

Powell acknowledged it will be difficult to refute the fathers claim he had nothing to do with the death, since no other adults were there at the time.

“It’s hard to believe from the evidence that is available in this case that this was just an accident,” stated Powell. “And it is the state’s intention to hold the adult that was in charge of those children responsible for that child’s death.”

Powell said two other children, ages 4 and 6, were inside the apartment at the time the incident happened.

Since the indictment was handed down late last week, an arraignment date has not been set for Justin Green.

He has been released from the Lauderdale County Detention Center on $10,000 bond.