Monday, November 10, 2014

Dad faces trial on charges of abusing 8-week-old daughter; baby has three fractured ribs and broken leg (Canton, Michigan)

The mom has lost all the kids to "protective custody" even though she isn't charged with anything and is cooperating with the police.

Dad is identified as VINCENT JOEL FRENCH II. Notice that this @$$wipe is a two-time loser.

Canton father faces trial on charges he abused his 8-week-old baby

Darrell Clem

4:30 p.m. EST November 10, 2014

Barring a plea deal, a 33-year-old Canton father is facing trial on charges he abused his 8-week-old daughter, who police say suffered three fractured ribs and a fractured femur in her right leg.

Vincent Joel French II, described by police as 6-foot-2, 280 pounds, was ordered Friday by 35th District Judge Ron Lowe to stand trial on two counts of first-degree child abuse as French appeared in court for his preliminary examination.

French could face penalties ranging up to 20 years in prison if he is convicted as charged in Wayne County Circuit Court. He is expected back in district court as early as Friday on misdemeanor charges of fourth-degree child abuse and domestic violence involving his 7-year-old stepdaughter.

Police have said the baby, the stepdaughter and a 9-year-old stepson, who apparently wasn't injured, have been placed in protective custody as the case unfolds.

French was charged after the baby girl was taken to a hospital Oct. 12 for a fractured femur and fractured ribs that police say had started to heal. Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy subsequently charged French with causing the injuries to the baby.

French was jailed with a $500,000 cash bond after he was formally arraigned on the felony counts. He already had been jailed with a $10,000 cash bond for the misdemeanor cases involving the 7-year-old stepdaughter.

Detective Sgt. Chad Baugh has said the incidents allegedly occurred inside an apartment at The Crossings, a sprawling complex southeast of Joy Road and I-275 on Canton's north side.

Baugh has said the child's mother was cooperating with police.

Police learned of the alleged abuse after the hospital contacted Child Protective Services, which then notified Canton police.