Sunday, October 19, 2014

Custodial dad charged with felony domestic battery for severe beating of 13-year-old son with extension cord; boy had over 50 welts and cuts (Chicago, Illinois)

Once again, it is not spelled out clearly for readers, but dad MARIO BOONE must have had custody of this child. Notice that he had him during the school week during the missed parent-teacher conference and was able to keep him home from school for two days after the torturous beating with no repercussions.

This father could have killed this boy, who still has scarring months later.

The father didn't even bother to get the boy medical treatment. That waited till he dropped the boy off at the (paternal?) grandmother's house, meaning Mom was out of the loop. At least the grandmother had the decency to call the mother.


Thank goodness Mom now has custody.

But how was the father able to assume custody to begin with, and who helped him? How much you want to bet that he also has a history of domestic violence against the mother, and managed to get custody of the child despite his history? But of course this article goes into none of that.

Prosecutors: Man repeatedly whipped son, 13, with cord

Mario Boone, 38, has been charged with felony domestic battery after prosecutors say he struck his 13-year-old son with an extension cord for 10 minutes when the boy was sent home from school this spring.

By Stephanie K. Baer

Teenage boy suffered more than 50 welts and cuts in whipping by dad, prosecutors say

October 19, 2014, 7:20 PM

A Chicago man has been charged with felony domestic battery after prosecutors say he repeatedly struck his 13-year-old son with an extension cord when the boy was sent home from school in May.

Mario Boone, 38, was arrested Saturday and appeared in bond court Sunday.

On May 27, the boy was brought home from school for failing to bring a parent to parent-teacher conferences, Assistant State's Attorney Andres Almendarez said at the bond hearing. After the boy was dropped off at his home in the 11000 block of South Sangamon Street, his father, Boone, became angry with him and ordered the boy to remove his clothing and go down to the basement, prosecutors said.

As the boy removed all clothing except for his underwear, Boone punched him in the face, Almendarez said. Boone then met his son in the basement and hit him in the face with a 5-foot extension cord, causing a gash on his face, prosecutors said.

The boy then curled up into a ball on the ground as his father continued to whip him with the cord for about 10 minutes, prosecutors said. Boone then stopped hitting the boy, washed his hands and then hit him four more times, according to prosecutors.

The boy suffered more than 50 welts and slashes over his body and did not receive medical treatment until two days later, after Boone took him to his grandmother's house, Almendarez said. During that time, Boone did not allow his son to go to school due to his visible injuries, prosecutors said.

When the victim's grandmother saw his injuries, she called his mother who took the boy to South Shore Hospital and called the police, prosecutors said.

"To this day, the victim remains with scarring on his face, back, leg and arm area," Almendarez said, adding that he did not have information as to why the man was arrested nearly five months after the incident.

Boone was arrested Saturday morning at his new home, in the 8000 block of South Colfax Avenue, according to court documents. The 13-year-old boy has been living with his mother since the incident, prosecutors said.

Boone's attorney, Jeffrey Moskowitz, said Boone has another child and has continued to provide for both children. The man has not had any contact with his son since the incident, Moskowitz said.

"I am very disturbed by this," said Cook County Circuit Judge Peggy Chiampas, as she looked at photographs of the boy's injuries.

Chiampas then set Boone's bail at $10,000.

Boone is due back in court Friday.