Friday, March 8, 2013

Teen boy found chained in basement of custodial dad is now gaining weight, recovering (Clay County, Missouri)

This is the first mention I have seen of the non-custodial mom, who obviously had been stripped of her visitation rights. This is a typical abuser move. After all, if Mom isn't allowed to visit the kids, she can't report any abuse, right?

Still no word here on how this abusive custodial father gained custody, and who enabled that decision.

Dad is identified as DAVID MARTIN.

Bipolar teen found chained up in father's basement has gained 50lbs and is thriving just one month after rescue

By Daily Mail Reporter PUBLISHED:10:57 EST, 8 March 2013| UPDATED:11:55 EST, 8 March 2013

A 17-year-old Missouri boy who was found chained to a pole in his parents' basement four weeks ago weighing just over 100lbs is doing much better these days.

The teenager boasted to a Clay County judge Thursday that he has put on 50lbs, planned to play football and was taking guitar lessons.

The bipolar 17-year-old, whose name is not been revealed due to his age, was discovered February 4 curled in a fetal position and handcuffed to a steel pole inside a Kansas City home after a neighbor contacted social services.

The boy's father, David Martin, 42, and 41-year-old stepmother, Pamela Martin, were arrested and charged with felony restraint and child abuse.

During the hearing this week, the boy's biological mother said that she would like to take her son home, but the judge ordered that he remain in foster care pending a home study to determine if the woman's residence is suitable for the boy to live in, the Kansas City Starreported..

According to her lawyer, the teen's birthmother was unaware of what was happening to her son at her ex-husband's townhouse and would have sought custody had she known.

David Martin, who continues to be held on $50,000 bond along with his second wife, appeared at the hearing Thursday but did not speak.

Meanwhile, the teen at the center of the case told Judge Elizabeth Davis that he is doing well, adding that nowadays he tips the scales at 151lbs.

The high school sophomore went on to say that he is doing weight running and hopes to join the wrestling team and the football team as a running back.

The boy is expected to be back in court May 30 for his next progress report.

Following his rescue in early February, the boy told investigators he had been kept in the basement since his father pulled him out of school in September. Court documents say the boy's weight had dropped from 130lbs to 103lbs.

According to court documents, the Martins told police that the victim is bi-polar and also suffers from attention deficit disorder.

The teen's father said the family could no longer afford to buy medications for the 17-year-old and had run out of options to keep a handle on the boy. Police have not released the names of anyone involved in the case. The teen was placed in the custody of child services. The adults were also living in the home at the time.

Mr Martin added that they had tied him to the pole in order to keep him from running away, and that the restraint only lasted for three weeks.

According to a police report, an officer and social worker arrived in the family's home last week after getting a tip from neighbor Crystal Anderson.

The Kansas City Star reported that while they were inside the residence in the 400 block of North Wheeling Avenue, Mrs Martin told the officer her son was asleep in his basement bedroom.

When they entered the basement, they heard someone cry out: 'I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything.'

Officer Jonathan Stone wrote in the report: 'I then observed a thin frail looking male getting out of the fetal position on the concrete floor around a steel support pole.

'The teen was handcuffed to the pole and looked very thin for his height, with a sunken face and eyes that "had a look of desperation."'

He was curled in a fetal position on the cold concrete floor dressed in dirty jeans, a dirty shirt and socks. He continually asked authorities for his jacket and shoes and appeared cold.

After police freed the shivering boy from the manacles and helped him calm down, he said he had been kept in the basement since September, when his father removed him from school.

He said he was initially 'just locked in the basement, but was not fed much.'

The child was allowed to shower once in four weeks, had been denied the use of bathroom for 10-hour stretches and had sores on both his wrists from the handcuffs, according to court documents.

The 17-year-old told police that in October, he managed to get out of the basement and get food, which angered his father, who tried handcuffing both his hands to a bed frame in a 'cross position, but his arms were not long enough.' When police entered the basement of the home, they heard someone cry out: 'I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything. I didn't do anything'

The teen said he managed to take apart the bed in November and used a bed rail to break open the door, but he didn't manage to find anything edible.

The boy told police that this time, David Martin removed the bed from the basement and handcuffed him to the pole.

He told police that his father would wake him each day at 4am to use the bathroom and give him a packet of dried oatmeal.

In the afternoon, he would again be allowed to use the bathroom and would get a packet of Ramen noodles to eat.

Later, he would get two bologna sandwiches and a glass of water before being locked up for the night.

Another adult in the home told police that the teen was 'locked downstairs because in December they let him upstairs and he ate almost an entire bowl of fruit at one time.'

Pamela Martin told police her stepson was allowed to eat dinner with the family and returned to the basement at bedtime.

The woman also said she didn't remove the handcuffs because the teen was 'verbally abusive and would try to kick her.'

Authorities took the teen to a local hospital for treatment. He was immediately placed into the custody of the Clay County Children’s Division. A two-year-old grandson in the home is also in state custody.

Since being sprung from his makeshift jail, the 17-year-old boy has sent a series of messages to the neighbor who led police the the basement where he was being kept.

The boy, whom neighbors have described as childlike, shared with Crystal Anderson how excited he is to be back in school and spoke of dreams to play football, KSNreported.

One message read: 'Thank you for save [sic] me from starving,' the teen wrote in gratitude.