Friday, February 19, 2010

Police arrest father of injured 25-day-old baby (Logan, Utah)

Dad JONATHAN J. MONSEN has been charged with 2 felony counts of inflicting serious physical injury on a child. His son--only 25 days old!--was hospitalized with a serious head injury and broken bones in the rib and leg areas. It appears that there were "two separate incidents" of abuse too, meaning this sh** has basically abused this child since birth.

Police arrest father of injured baby

By Matthew K. Jensen
Friday, February 19, 2010 2:53 AM CST

A Logan man was charged Thursday with two felony counts of inflicting serious physical injury on a child after police say his son was admitted to Primary Children’s Medical Center in Salt Lake City with head and leg injuries.

In a press release, Police Capt. Jeff Curtis said 22-year-old Jonathan J. Monsen was taken into custody Thursday morning following an investigation into a report of head and leg injuries involving his 25-day-old child. Monsen resides in the area of 1200 W. 1800 South in Logan.

Curtis says that on Jan. 13, a Division of Child and Family Services case worker reported to police that the infant had suffered some form of trauma and had been taken to a hospital.

“DCFS and Logan police investigators responded to Salt Lake to investigate,” said Curtis. “It was found the child had a serious head injury along with broken bones in the rib and leg areas.”

Curtis says the fractures in the rib area appear to have been caused in two separate occasions.

“During several interviews, Monsen disclosed that he was involved in the two incidents,” said Curtis. “Following the investigation and review by the Cache County Attorney, Monsen was taken into custody.”

Monsen is also charged with abuse or neglect of a disabled child, a third-degree felony, and obstructing justice, a class-A misdemeanor.

Curtis says the child has been released from the hospital and is under the care of his mother.

Monsen appeared before a 1st District Court judge Thursday afternoon and is currently being held in the Cache County Sheriff’s Complex on a $5,000 bail.