Monday, February 14, 2011

"Home alone" dad charged in death of 4-month-old daughter (York, Nebraska)

Once again, we have a case where Daddy RYAN KOZISEK was "home alone" with the kids while Mom was forced to work (she left the house at 4:15 AM). And notice how Daddy tried to blame the 2-year old for the baby's injuries. Classy touch. Like a 2-year-old can fracture a baby's skull? They can't. Nor could a baby sustain those kinds of injuries by "falling" either.

What probably happened is that Daddy got "frustrated." So he shook the baby and bashed her skull against something hard. This is what happens in the vast majority of these cases. And then Daddy lied about it.

Father charged in death of infant

By News-Times staff
Published: Monday, February 14, 2011 2:24 PM CST

YORK — Ryan Kozisek, 29, of Gresham has been arrested on allegations that his infant daughter died as a result of abuse.

Watch the Video Report

York County Attorney Bill Sutter filed formal charges Monday morning and obtained a warrant for Kozisek’s arrest. The York County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that they took Kozisek into custody, in Gresham, at 12:30 p.m., on Monday.

Four-month-old Kayley Kozisek died at Children’s Hospital in Omaha on Jan. 25. According to court documents, Gresham and York rescue squads were dispatched to the Kozisek home on Jan. 24, at 12:15 p.m., after Ryan Kozisek called 911 saying his daughter was not breathing.

According to the arrest affidavit, the dispatcher was advised that the baby was in full cardiac arrest when emergency responders arrived. Kayley was transported to York General Hospital and then life-flighted to Children’s Hospital in Omaha.

Sutter’s filing says that Ryan Kozisek was home alone with Kayley and his two-year-old daughter, Kaydence. Sutter said Ryan’s wife, Kassandra, was at work at the time and had been gone since approximately 4:15 a.m.

Court documents indicate that Ryan told emergency personnel that the two-year-old sister, Kaydence, accidentally fell off a stepping stool onto the baby.

Dr. Suzanne Haney, MD, a doctor at Children’s Hospital, was interviewed by investigators. Sutter says Dr. Haney told investigators that the baby sustained “traumatic injuries including bleeding on the brain which was causing swelling and increased inter-cranial pressure. Dr. Haney indicated that the baby also had a depressed occipital skull fracture, severe cerebral edema and probable retinal hemorrhages which resulted in her being in a comatose state. Dr. Haney indicated that Kayley Kozisek’s prognosis was extremely critical and that she likely would not survive beyond two or three days. Kayley Kozisek’s injuries were consistent with violent trauma associated with shaken baby syndrome. Dr. Haney advised that her injuries could not have been caused by a two-year-old, or her falling and striking her head on something. Her injuries could only have been caused by the violent force associated with someone violently shaking her. Dr. Haney also noted that the depressed fracture in the back of her skull was the result of her being violently struck with some type of an object and not the result of an accidental fall.

“Dr. Haney indicated that the skull fracture, which was approximately the size of a golf ball, appeared to have been sustained approximately two weeks before this emergency call. Dr. Haney indicated that the skull fracture sustained approximately two weeks ago did not cause any of the symptoms that were threatening her life. Dr. Haney also noted there was a bruise on (the infant’s) upper back.”

Sutter says Ryan Kozisek told investigators that no one else had visited their house prior to the medical emergency.

Sutter said Monday that since the child’s death, his office and the York County Sheriff’s Department has been investigating the situation, which included interviews with attending physicians and social workers, and the review of findings from an autopsy. They were assisted by the Nebraska State Patrol.

Ryan Kozisek is being charged with two counts of felony child abuse. The first is classified as a Class 1B felony, regarding the allegations of what happened on Jan. 24, resulting in Kayley’s death. If convicted, the range of penalty is between 20 years and life in prison.

The second charge is classified as a Class 2 felony, regarding the allegations of what may have occurred two weeks prior, on approximately Jan. 10, resulting in bodily injury. If convicted of this charge, the range of penalty is between 1 and 50 years in prison.

A bond hearing is pending in the matter.