UNNAMED DAD has been convicted of sexual assault for abusing his 4-year-old daughter.
Notice that the mother lost custody of her kids by not contacting the authorities within 3 days of the babysitter's disclosure. Actually, it's likely she may still have been in shock. In addition, it's rather disingenous for this mother to be condemned for not reporting in a prompt matter, because it's a very dangerous thing for mothers to disclose these things. You can quickly find yourself accused of being a vindictive, hysterical liar and alienator, especially if you file for divorce. And If these labels stick, you may find yourself with no custody, no visitation.
Jersey City man convicted of having daughter, 4, perform sex act on him, authorities say
Published: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 3:33 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 4:04 PM
By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
A Hudson County jury yesterday convicted a Jersey City man of having his 4-year-old daughter perform oral sex on him, authorities said.
It took the jury just more than one day of deliberations to find the 26-year-old Arlington Avenue man guilty of aggravated sexual assault and endangering the welfare of his daughter, who is now 7 years old, Hudson County Assistant Prosecutor John Mulkeen said yesterday.
The man will be required to register as a sex offender under Megan's Law and undergo community supervision for life, Mulkeen said. His name is being withheld to to protect the identity of the victim.
The child, who testified at trial against her father, was 6 years old on Aug. 21, 2009 when she told her baby-sitter what her father made her do and the baby-sitter told the girl's mother the next day, Mulkeen said. But the mother had not yet contacted police when an anonymous caller gave the information to the state Division of Youth and Family Services on Aug. 24, Mulkeen said.
The 28-year-old mother was not prosecuted, but the victim and her younger sister were taken away by DYFS, Mulkeen said.
The father was arrested on Aug. 25, 2009, and at the end of a recorded interview he asked a female officer to leave the room and tearfully "expressed guilt, felt bad, and admitted that he did it and gave even more details than the baby-sitter had," Mulkeen said.
When the victim testified during the trial she was unable to remember specifics of what she had told the baby-sitter in 2009 but "she clearly identified her father as the one person that touched her inappropriately," Mulkeen said.
When the father took the stand, he testified that he had been forced to make the incriminating statement to investigators, Mulkeen said, adding that the jury apparently did not believe he was coerced.
"His family and friends came to almost every court appearance and I think it is one thing to admit to child molesting in a room where the only other people are police, but it is another thing to publicly admit it," Mulkeen said. "The shame and stigma of child molestation sometimes keeps obviously guilty individuals from admitting it publicly."
The father posted a bail of $100,000 cash or bond on Sept. 21, 2009 and has been free since, Mulkeen said. He will now undergo psychological evaluation to determine if he is a "repetitive and compulsive offender" and he will likely face up to 20 years in prison when sentenced several months from now.
The baby-sitter was changing her own infant son's diaper when the victim pointed at the boy's genitals and made the vile disclosure.
Mulkeen praised the 26-year-old baby-sitter, saying "Sometimes people choose not to be involved, but the baby-sitter chose to get involved and she made a difference."