Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Police: Dad killed mom, two kids; two children continued to live with homicidal father until police come 2 weeks later (Charlotte, North Carolina)

There has got to be a special place in hell for a father like this.

Dad KENNETH JERMAINE CHAPMAN apparently stabbed the mother to death, and then waited till the NEXT DAY to shoot to death the mother's 13-year-old from a previous relationship and the couple's 1-year-old daughter. Meanwhile, two children are still (physically) unharmed in this home, though still living with the homicidal father. The very brave 10-year-old daughter tried to keep a "normal" routine going, hoping that this would somehow spare her life and the life of her 2-year-old brother. This went on for 2 WEEKS. Finally, a family member called the police and asked for a "welfare check" at the home. That's when Dad fired at the police before killing himself. During this exchange of gunfire, the 10-year-old escaped from the apartment with her 2-year-old brother.

My heart really goes out to this girl. I have nothing but admiration for her bravery and the devotion she showed to her younger sibling. This is more than any human being should be asked to endure, and certainly more than a 10-year-old child should have to endure.


Police: Victims In Murder-Suicide May Have Been Killed 2 Weeks Ago
Posted: 5:15 am EDT March 30,2010
Updated: 1:25 pm EDT March 30,2010

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Police are investigating an apparent murder-suicide in southeast Charlotte. They found four people dead, including a mother, toddler and teenager.

The victims were 34-year-old Nateesha Ward Chapman, 1-year-old Nakyiah Jael Chapman and 13-year-old Na'Jhae Parker.

Investigators said they think Nateesha Chapman was killed on March 14, and that the children were killed on March 15.

Police identified the suspect as 33-year-old Kenneth Jermaine Chapman.

Police were called to the Berkshires on Providence Apartments on Providence Square Drive late Monday night. According to a release, the call came from the uncle of Nateesha Chapman, who lived at the apartment with her husband and four children. Police said the uncle called 911 and asked that officers check on her welfare.

When police arrived at the complex, the front door to the apartment was open. Police said they saw Kenneth Chapman standing on the stairs inside the apartment and called out to him.

Shortly after, police said he fired at them and then turned the gun on himself. A 10-year-old girl and 2-year-old boy ran out of the apartment unharmed. When police entered the apartment, they said they found Kenneth Chapman dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police searched the apartment and found two other children, Nakyiah Jael Chapman and Na'Jhae Parker, dead. Nakyiah was Kenneth Chapman's daughter. Na'Jhae Parker was not related to him.

Parker was an eighth-grader at McClintock Middle School. School officials said regular counselors are available to students today, and additional personnel will be at the school Wednesday.

The surviving 10-year-old girl attended school and kept her normal schedule for the past two weeks out of fear that Kenneth Chapman would kill her 2-year-old brother, police said.

Based on information they gathered from family members, detectives then went to an apartment on Via Romano Drive to search for Nateesha Chapman. They found her dead in that apartment around 2:45 a.m.

Police said Nakyiah and Na'Jhae were shot to death and Nateesha was stabbed.

The family was in the process of moving from the apartment on Via Romano Drive to the apartment on Providence Square Drive. They moved to the area nine months ago.