Thursday, March 25, 2010

Boy in abuse case dies; father, stepmother arrested (Sacramento, California)

We've posted on this case numerous times in the last few days. Dad ADRIAN RAMON MCGRATH and the stepmom are currrently charged with child endangerment, but I imagine the charges will be upgraded now that the 3-year-old boy has died.

Rest in peace, little Jeremiah.

Boy In Sacramento Abuse Case Dies
Dad, Stepmom In Custody

POSTED: 9:09 am PDT March 25, 2010
UPDATED: 9:31 am PDT March 25, 2010

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- A 3-year-old boy who authorities suspect was the victim of child abuse has died at a Sacramento hospital, an official confirmed Thursday.

Jeremiah Mcrath died at 1:20 a.m. at UC Davis Medical Center, a hospital representative said.

The boy's father and stepmother were arrested Wednesday on suspicion of abuse, but in jailhouse interviews they denied any wrongdoing.

Adrian Ramon Mcrath, 19, and Dayshawna N. Lawrence, 22, were booked into jail. They are set to appear in court on Friday.

The 70-pound boy received head injuries and bruising to his body. A family member said the child had been spanked after wetting his pants.

Adrian Mcrath is facing felony charges of endangering the life or health of a child, corporal punishment and violation of probation. His bail was set at $500,000.

Lawrence is facing felony charges of endangering the life or health of a child, corporal punishment and domestic violence. She was also sought on warrants. Her bail was set at $511,782.

According to court records, Adrian Mcrath pleaded no contest last year to a charge of carrying a concealed firearm. He was given probation.

Paramedics were initially called to a home in the 2700 block of 32nd Street on Tuesday night after the boy was found unconscious.

Based on a preliminary investigation, detectives determined that that the child was physically disciplined Tuesday by both the father and stepmother. Later in the day, the father left the house. In the evening, the child went to the bathroom and the stepmother heard a noise. The stepmother went to go check on the child and found him unconscious.

The child was carried over to a neighbor's apartment, where 911 was called. The boy was taken to the hospital. When doctors saw the injuries, they called police.