Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dad on trial for murdering 7-year-old son (St. Joseph, Missouri)

Is TONY KING a single father? Once again, we see no mention of a mother in the home. And it's hard to believe that if there had been a mother in this home, that she wouldn't come up in some way.

Both Sides Rest Case in Trial of Father Accused of Killing Son

By: Melinda Barrett Updated: May 1, 2013

(ST. JOSEPH, Mo.) Testimony came to a close in the trial of a northwest Missouri father charged with killing his own son.

Tony King of Bethany, Mo. is charged with murder, child abuse and arson.

Wednesday, his defense team worked to prove his innocence.

Jurors in King's trial also learned more about the boy some suspect was a victim of abuse.

Testimony from school officials in Bethany pointed out that they had suspected Jeremiah Lamm was being abused, but they never could link their suspicion to his father.

Lamm's teacher, principal and school counselor fought back tears as they recalled the 7-year-old coming to school with bruises and other injuries.

They said they often questioned where the injuries came from, and that the first grader's stories rarely added up.

The principal called the child abuse hotline in the weeks leading up to a fire at his home in Bethany on January 11, 2012.

School officials also pointed out Lamm's lack of attendance at school during the months leading up to the fire.

A doctor testified that the boy had been had been strangled, and that the fire did not cause his death.

The prosecution alleges King is responsible for the abuse, and, the child's teacher suspected that too.

She recalled the last time she saw Lamm at school.

"It was getting close to dismissal time, and in my gut, I just had a feeling that I didn't want to send him home, I was so worried. I knelt down to him at his desk, and I looked in his eyes, and I said Jeremiah I love you so much. I want you to know that I care about you, and you deserve to have every person in your life treat you good," said Jamie Carter, first grader teacher at South Harrison Elementary.

King's attorneys brought in investigators from the Children's Division of the Division of Social Services who said they did visit his home and interviewed the boy.

The reports from DSS came back as good and the boy's stories seemed to add up with his injuries.

They also said King was always cooperative with them and allowed them in his home.

The state and defense both rested their cases on Wednesday.

Closing statements are expected to begin Thursday.