Friday, May 17, 2013

Accused killer dad defends his actions (Sacramento, California)

Dad ALIAS MCLAUGHLIN admits he shoved the baby's mother and yelled at her while the baby was crying. And that he has "anger management" issues.

But not that he threw the baby and killed her. Um, right. Somehow the baby received a fatal blunt force trauma injury to her head all by herself.

http://www.news10.net/news/article/245398/2/Accused-Sacramento-father-I-didnt-know-what-to-do

Father accused in his baby's abuse death defends actions from jail

8:14 PM, May 16, 2013

Leigh Paynter

SACRAMENTO, CA - Three weeks ago, Alias McLaughlin was a new father. Now, he's a suspect in his baby's death.

"I was actually accused of murdering my own little girl and now, well, here I am," McLaughlin said from Sacramento County Jail.

Sacramento police believe McLaughlin violently shook and threw his newborn daughter last Friday after the baby woke up crying. In a jailhouse interview, McLaughlin said he never hurt his daughter, but was trying to stop her from choking on milk.

"We [the child's mother and McLaughlin] specifically saw her aspirate with milk in her throat," said McLaughlin. "But they're telling us there was no milk or fluid in her lungs."

At one point, McLaughlin said his daughter started gasping for air.

"I didn't know what to do. I was going out of my head. I was freaking out. So I went outside to have a cigarette and talked to my girlfriend, and she said we should call 911."

McLaughlin said he didn't want to wait for paramedics, so he performed CPR on his daughter three times. When the little girl finally arrived at UC Davis Medical Center, she wasn't breathing and appeared to have injuries. Doctors called police.

The coroner's report says the baby died of blunt force trauma to her head.

McLaughlin's girlfriend also told police it was McLaughlin who shook their child and threw her down on the ground. When she tried to protect their daughter, she claimed McLaughlin attacked her.

From jail, McLaughlin said he never hurt his child, but does admit to shoving his girlfriend.

"I was going like that, grabbing her and pushing her, 'Why were you not giving her the bottle?'" McLaughlin said he yelled at his girlfriend while the baby was crying.

McLaughlin says he attended anger management classes in the past.

News10 efforts to reach the baby's mother at the home the couple shared were unsuccessful.

McLaughlin faces murder charges for his daughter's death, but says he doesn't understand what happened that night or what he could have done differently.

"I didn't mean to do anything. I just wanted to take care of her," he said. "That's all. That's all I wanted to do was take care of my daughter."

McLaughlin wears a padded suit for his own protection and has seen a psychiatrist while in jail, according to officials.