Monday, May 20, 2013

Dad loses appeal, convicted of killing 17-month-old son in 2010 during visitation (Clayton County, Georgia)

Once again, we see why collecting child support from sperm donors is a bad idea. This father had no commitment to this mother or the baby. He didn't want to provide any financial support for them, he just didn't give a sh**. These volatile teen fathers never bond with the babies, they just see them as a nuisance. Especially this one, who had threatened the mother. 

That's why they should NOT be provided with visitation. Why pretend they are real fathers?

The result of providing dad JAMALL DECARLOS MATHIS with access is that he beat this baby to death. And this after apparently abusing the baby during an earlier visit. 

I wonder if there was a family court judge idiot behind all this, and who it was. Or whether Mom was just being nice and accommodating by letting Daddy see the baby when he asked. 

Once again we see the lies of the fathers rights people. Daddies don't kill because they're kept from their kids; they kill because they are GRANTED ACCESS TO THE KIDS.

Supreme court upholds dad's life sentence for beating 17-month-old boy to death

MAY 20, 2013


The Supreme Court of Georgia upheld a man's murder conviction and life sentence for beating his 17-month-old son to death, officials said.

An 18-year-old Clayton County dad beat his 17-month-old son to death, possibly with a baseball bat, after refusing to provide financial support for the child and threatening the toddler’s mom.

Still, Mr. Jamall DeCarlos Mathis appealed to the Supreme Court of Georgia to overturn his murder conviction and life sentence, claiming the punishment was too harsh and that the evidence was insufficient.

But on Monday, the state’s highest court said it has denied his appeal — closing the door on Mr. Mathis’ last hope for freedom.

Mr. Mathis was 16-years-old when his girlfriend, Ms. Tiasha Jones, gave birth to their son, Ja ‘Mari Myckahi Jones, according to court records.But the teen was unhappy about the pregnancy and threatened to have someone hurt the woman.

He wasn’t there for the baby’s birth and after the boy was born, barely saw him and provided no financial support.

In May 2009, Ms. Jones began legal proceedings to gain child support from Mr. Mathis who asked her to drop the complaint, the records show. But she refused.

Shortly before his death, Ja ‘Mari returned from one of his few visits to his father’s house with a swollen knee that caused him to limp,” according to the court records. “Mathis said the toddler “probably fell.”

In September, Mr. Mathis asked for another visit with Ja ‘Mari. But this time, when he arrived to pick up the child, the baby cried.

Around 11 p.m. on Sept. 15, Mr. Mathis, who was staying at his aunt’s with several family members including his mother, brother, sister and his sister’s baby, called Ms. Jones to tell her Ja ‘Mari had fallen off the bed and hit his head while sleeping with his mother and infant niece.

Around 9 a.m. on Sept. 16, Mr. Mathis yelled from the bedroom that Ja ‘Mari was not breathing. Paramedics arrived to find Ja ‘Mari unresponsive.

“One of the treating paramedics testified that on the way to the hospital, Ja ‘Mari’s skin was warm and dry, indicating his injuries were recent," the records show. "By the time they arrived at Southern Regional Hospital, the knot on the toddler’s head had swollen to the size of a softball, also indicating a recent injury.”

Expert medical witnesses testified they found “pattern injuries” to Ja ‘Mari’s chest and arm as well as a significant skull fracture extending “all the way to the base of the skull.”

Ms. Jones and her family took the baby off life support. A few days later, Mr. Mathis contacted Ms. Jones to ask if she was expecting an insurance check for Ja ‘Mari’s death. He also texted her saying he wished to have another child with her.

“At trial, the medical examiner said Ja ‘Mari’s injuries were consistent with having been struck on the head at least three times but “very likely” more than that,” according to the court records.

"Two baseball bats had been found in the house, and the baby’s head injuries were consistent with having been hit by a bat, but no physical evidence was introduced at trial directly linking the bats to the blows Ja ‘Mari suffered."

In November 2010, Mr. Mathis was convicted of felony murder, aggravated battery, cruelty to children and other crimes. He was sentenced to life without parole for the murder plus another 41 years in prison for the other crimes.