Thursday, May 2, 2013

Custodial dad accused of assaulting 3-month-old son; second time he's "suspected" of assaulting infant (University City, Missouri)

Whoa. So this is the second time dad JEREMY GILES has assaulted a helpless baby? And the first time he had "sole custody of the baby"?

Who dropped the ball here? Who allowed this sh** to be anywhere near an infant again, much less "caring" for one???

No mention of the mothers of these babies. It's like they never existed....

University City father accused of hurting infant son

3 hours ago

 • By Valerie Schremp Hahn
UPDATED at 12:10 p.m. with more information about previous charges.

UNIVERSITY CITY • A University City man has been charged with first-degree assault after admitting he intentionally dropped his three-month-old son, which caused serious injuries to the baby's head and torso.

It's the second time he's been accused of hurting an infant in a similar manner.

Jeremy Giles, 25, of the 7300 block of Balson Avenue, was charged Tuesday in St. Louis County Circuit Court.

University City Police said that on April 24, they responded to Children's Hospital for a possible child abuse case. Emergency room staffers told them the baby was brought there with the injuries, but police were unable to locate the father. The incident happened a day or two prior to the infant being brought in, police said.

The child had skull fractures and brain swelling, according to court documents.

"Doctors tell police that (the) victim's injuries required significant force and that a simple drop would not have caused these injuries," police said in court documents.

On Monday, Giles turned himself in and was arrested, and admitted he dropped the boy while at home. He was being held on a $200,000 cash-only bail.

In 2012, Giles was charged in Jefferson County with endangering the welfare of a child in a case involving a different child in Festus.

Giles' one-month-old son was hospitalized on Oct. 9, 2011, after suffering two black eyes and extensive bruising, according to a probable cause statement.

Giles, who had sole custody of the baby, told a detective the baby was injured when Giles tripped over a cat as he made a bottle and dropped the baby.

He changed his story as the interview progressed, court documents say, and then said he was carrying the baby upstairs when he tripped and dropped the baby twice.

A doctor at St. Louis Children's Hospital determined that the baby's injuries were not supported by Giles' explanations.

Giles is awaiting trial on the Jefferson County charge.

Leah Thorsen of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.