Monday, July 21, 2014

Three-year-old boy tortured to death during first overnight visit with dad (Majasane, South Africa)

Dad is identified as SANDILE NXUSA.

http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71627?oid=650628&sn=Detail&pid=71616

"Her son was tortured to death!" - Daily Sun

Daily Sun 18 July 2014

The front page and lead story of SA's largest daily newspaper, July 18 2014

Daily Sun (July 18 2014) - It is almost impossible to imagine what happened on that evil night when little Nkosinathi died. What is known is that the body of the three-year-old boy was found with burn marks on his back, thighs and stomach.

It appears the child had been tortured to death over the open flame of a primus stove. Last Saturday, Nkosinathi Mbatha was found dead by his great grandmother Olpha Nxusa (63) in Majasane, south of Jozi, where he was visiting his father. Nkosinathi's mother Nomfundo Mbatha (21) said it was the first time the boy had stayed with his father, Sandile Nxusa (24).

"I arranged with Sandile's grandmother to bring Nkosinathi for the weekend because my family had a burial in KZN. Nkosinathi wasn't close to his father but they seemed to be friendly when they saw each other on the streets," said the devastated mother. "I spoke to Nkosinathi every day he was with his father. He didn't sound unhappy. I last spoke to him on Thursday and he told me he would be coming back home before schools reopened. "He told me he loved me."

Things seemed to go wrong on Friday when Nomfundo phoned Sandile. "Sandile told me he wasn't at home and I couldn't speak to Nkosinathi," she said. "Late on Saturday night I heard from Sandile's uncle, telling me that my child had been found by gogo Olpha and he was dead."

Nomfundo went to Sandile's house where she found her baby's body. "I found a primus stove in the shack." Nomfundo's mother Brunnette Mbatha (55) said this was the third death in the family in three months.

"In May I buried my firstborn, last month it was her father, now it is my grandson," she said.

Gogo Olpha said she found Nkosinathi's body on the bed in the shack. "His body was ice cold. It appeared he had died in the early hours of Saturday morning," said gogo Olpha.

Constable Xolani Mkheze said a murder case had been opened and the suspect was arrested on Sunday.

"He appeared in the Vereeniging Magistrates Court on Tuesday and was denied bail."