Sunday, February 1, 2015

Dad to go on trial for rape, murder of 4-month-old daughter (Greenville, South Carolina)

The worthless daddy lowlife is identified as VICTOR NOE ORTIZ-DELVALLE.

Greenville man's trial to begin in daughter's death

David Dykes, 4:58 p.m. EST January 30, 2015

A 26-year-old Greenville man is scheduled to go on trial Monday on a charge of homicide by child abuse for allegedly killing his four-month-old daughter, who authorities said died after a sexual assault.

Victor Noe Ortiz-Delvalle also is charged with first-degree and third-degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor in connection with the death of the infant girl in March 2013, court records show.

He was being held at the Greenville County Detention Center. No bond was set by a judge, jail records show.

Jake Erwin, one of Ortiz-Delvalle's attorneys, said the defendant and his defense team will go into General Sessions court and "just hope the jury withholds judgment until they've seen all the evidence and have gotten the full story."

In a statement, Ortiz-Delvalle told investigators he was alone with his daughter at the time of her death, according to an arrest warrant.

He and the victim's mother were the only two people providing child care for the infant, Ortiz-Delvalle told investigators, according to the warrant.

A DNA report indicated Ortiz-Delvalle's semen was found on the victim's clothing, according to the warrant. Seminal fluid also was found in the infant's body, according to the warrant.

An autopsy stated the cause of death was homicidal violence during a sexual assault, according to the warrant.

During an earlier court hearing, Wayne Campbell, a homicide investigator with the Greenville County Sheriff's Office, testified that the infant's biological father and her mother each called 911 on a March 2013 morning because the infant was unresponsive in their two-bedroom Pelham Road apartment.

In interviews, the father told investigators he worked mornings and some afternoons at a local restaurant, Campbell said. The mother worked midnight to about 8 a.m. at a bakery-cafe, the investigator said.

Each watched the infant while the other worked, Campbell testified. No one else cared for the child, the investigator said.

Campbell testified the father told investigators that while he was at home, the child awoke between 2:30 a.m. and 3 a.m. The father said he got up, fixed a bottle and fed the child while watching television, Campbell testified.

The father said she drank 5 ounces of milk before he changed the infant's diaper and put her back to bed on her back in a crib, Campbell testified.

The father said he checked on the infant before he went to bed, the investigator testified.

About 8:10 a.m., when an alarm clock sounded, the father got up and found the child on her stomach, Campbell testified.

He told investigators he wiped "boogers" from her mouth and nose and at one point ran her hands under cold water in attempts to revive her, Campbell testified. She was pronounced dead at a local hospital an hour later, the investigator said.

A wellness check just before she died showed the infant wasn't having any medical problems, he testified.

As part of the autopsy, a medical examiner performed a sexual assault examination, Campbell said.

DNA analysts determined the father's semen was on the infant's clothing, Campbell testified. Citing a lab report, the investigator testified the amount of sperm found inside the child was too low to create a profile.