Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Stay-at-home dad pleads pleads guilty to assaulting 18-month-old son, son's mom; jailed for 3 years (Bradford, England)

Contrary to all the fluff pieces you see in the magazines, a lot of "stay-at-home" dads are basically like this one: deadbeat drunks and abusers. UNNAMED DAD


Bradford dad jailed for cruelty to toddler son

9:00am Tuesday 6th November 2012 

A cruel Bradford father who repeatedly struck his 18-month-old son round the head and plied him with beer to make him sleep has been jailed for three years.

The 26-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the child, was arrested after hitting and kicking his wife in a drunken rage and throwing the toddler on the floor, Bradford Crown Court was told yesterday.

The man, who came to Bradford with his family last year from Eastern Europe, pleaded guilty to assaulting his wife and causing her actual bodily harm on July 4 and cruelty to his son for two months up until that date.

The court heard the man began drinking heavily and behaving aggressively after losing his job.

He was left in charge of his son while his wife was at work.

Neighbours in their shared house heard the man shouting and swearing at the boy and threatening to “knock his teeth out”.

They reported that he hit the child every day and gave him beer. When people complained, he laughed and said it would make the youngster sleep better.

On the evening of July 4, the man came home drunk and assaulted his son by gripping him round the neck and shaking him.

When his wife intervened, he kicked her unconscious and hit her on the head.

He then threw his son on the floor and left the house.

Neighbours called the police, who saw reddening and scratches to the woman’s neck, the court heard.

It was the eighth time the police had been called to the house because the man was drunk and argumentative.

A doctor examined the toddler and found swelling to the back of his head caused by a significant blow.

Giles Bridge, the man’s barrister, said he had no previous convictions and had been in custody for 122 days.

Judge Roger Thomas QC made a restraining order banning the man from contacting the woman and her family.