Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dad charged with murder in death of 4-month-old daughter; arrested after child custody hearing for 2-year-old son (Bryant, Arkansas)

This case follows a pattern very often seen with abusive men, where the kids are killed after the marriage is breaking up or on the verge of breaking up. Also notice that this father apparently had no qualms about pursuing custody of the surviving child--also a very interesting sign. Typical of narcissists with big control issues. And also notice that Mom no longer has custody, the grandparents do. Even though she apparently isn't charged with anything. We'll see what happens at trial.

Dad is identified as DEVIN HUNT.

New Details About 4-Month-Old's Death in Bryant, Father Charged With Murder

By: Lauren Trager, KARK 4 News Updated: September 26, 2012

There are new details about the 4-month-old baby from Bryant who died, police say, at the hands of her own father.

We were the first to tell you about Presley Faith Hunt on Monday. She died at Arkansas Children's hospital June 22nd.

Doctors say Presley suffered from Abusive Head Trauma.

She had swelling and bleeding on her brain, as well as other injuries; she even suffered from a tear in her eye.

Investigators say after reviewing the medical report released Friday, they had enough to charge Presley's father with capital murder.

"It is not an easy case for anyone, by any means," said Sgt. Todd Crowson with Bryant Police.

Though accustomed to dealing with murder cases, investigators say Presley's death is especially tough.

"It's even harder when it's a small small child like this, a defenseless child. It really hits home," said Sgt. Crowson.

Sgt. Crowson says they were called to Arkansas Children's Hospital (ACH) after learning of Presley's injuries.

They say Devin Hunt, 23, was at a home on Independence Dr. in Bryant June 21st, alone with Presley and his other child, a 2-year-old son.

Hunt at first told an investigator he left the room for just a moment, heard Presley cry, and came back to see the 2-year-old standing over her.

Doctors at ACH told police the sibling couldn't have been the one to cause the severe injuries.

Now, police say, before and since his arrest Monday morning, Hunt has been silent.

"He hasn't been wanting to give any statements," Sgt. Crowson said.

Police are puzzled over exactly what happened. Hunt had just finished boot camp for the National Guard. He and his wife filed for divorce shortly after Presley's death.

"Do we believe he planned to do this?" the reporter asked. "I hope not," said Sgt. Crowson.

 Hunt's attorney continued to maintain his client's innocence Tuesday.

But police say they, like many others, just want to know why?

"There's only one person that can answer that and he's sitting in jail right now," said Sgt. Crowson.

An attorney for Presley's mom Tuesday told us over the phone that they have faith in God and in the legal system that justice will prevail in the case.

Hunt has a bond hearing Wednesday. He was arrested Monday at the Saline County Courthouse after a custody hearing for his 2-year-old son. Right now, police say that child is with his maternal grand-parents.