Friday, April 18, 2014

Dad indicted in death of 3-month-old daughter (Lawrenceville, Georgia)

Yet another "babysitting" abuser daddy who killed the baby while Mom worked.

This one is identified as REUBEN ARTHUR VALRIE.

Gwinnett father indicted in infant daughter's death

By Tyler Estep

As of Thursday, April 17, 2014

Gwinnett Daily Post

LAWRENCEVILLE — A Gwinnett County grand jury indicted Wednesday the Lawrenceville man accused of shaking his infant daughter to death earlier this year.

Reuben Arthur Valrie, 28, was indicted on two counts of felony murder and single counts of both first-degree cruelty to children and aggravated battery. The charges stem from the Jan. 15 death of 3-month-old Aliyana Valrie.

According to police and testimony and prior hearings, Valrie was alone with his daughter on the day she died, running errands after the girl’s mother went to work and her siblings went to school. When Aliyana’s mother returned to their apartment on Lawrenceville’s Sweetwater Road, the girl was unresponsive. Revival efforts were unsuccessful.

A subsequent autopsy revealed extensive internal injuries, including multiple broken ribs, a lacerated liver and bleeding in the child’s abdomen and head.

When questioned by police, Valrie reportedly offered several different explanations, including that Aliyana’s car seat had fallen over, that she had fallen out of bed and that he had picked her up and almost dropped her, resulting in a “quick, harsh motion” that snapped her head back.

The county medical examiner told authorities none of those situations would have explained the extent of the injuries. Police have accused him of “grabbing and shaking the child, causing internal injuries that led to her death.”

No potential motive has been offered.

Valrie was originally charged with murder and second-degree cruelty to children. The felony murder charges in his indictment are based on Aliyana’s death occurring during the commission of two separate felonies: cruelty to children and aggravated battery.

Valrie has remained in the Gwinnett County jail since his original arrest on Jan. 17.