Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Custodial dad left 2-year-old son at home while he went to work because he "forgot" (Coeur D'Alene, Idaho)

It is not till we get nearly to the end that we find out that dad JESSE EDWARDS was custodial. Notice that how he got custody, and who gave it to him, is not explained and is left very vague. Of course, the mother is not interviewed for her opinion. 

I don't believe this guy for a minute. Children tend to get left behind or "forgotten" when there is a change in routine. But there was no change of routine here. I suspect drugs. 


Father: I left for work and forgot my son at home

KTVB.COM Posted on February 12, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Updated today at 6:14 PM

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho -- The father of a two-year-old boy who was arrested Sunday on child endangerment charges said he simply forgot about his son when he left the house for work.

Hours later, the boy was found walking along a busy Coeur d’Alene road.

The boy was taken into protective custody after a couple of Good Samaritans found him standing alone near the intersection of Government Way and Park Avenue Sunday afternoon.

Virginia Griggs is a manager at the nearby Sully’s Pub and Grill.

Griggs said the couple brought the boy into the bar for safe keeping and called authorities.

The boy told officers his name and his dad’s name. He was wearing an inside-out pajama top, sweatpants and boots, and a diaper that looked like it had not been changed for awhile, police said.

Griggs said the boy seemed OK, but overwhelmed while answering the officer's questions.

Police contacted 36-year-old Jesse Edwards of Hayden by cell phone and were able to confirm the child is his.

Officers arrested Edwards at the Hayden Walmart where he was buying a few things. Police said he appeared to be under the influence of some substance.

Authorities said Edwards offered no explanation about how he became separated from his child.

Edwards told KREM 2 News he simply forgot about his son when he went to work just after 7 a.m. He said he was so tired he could not remember if he dropped off his son at his parent’s house near Rathdrum like he normally does. Edwards said he and the boy live at a home a couple of blocks away from where the child was found.

Edwards denied he was under the influence of any substance.

Officers arrested Edwards for child endangerment. He bailed out of jail and is due in court Tuesday.

Edwards said his son’s mother is not in the picture and that he has full custody of Jake.

The toddler was placed into protective care.