Monday, January 4, 2010

While "visiting" with 12-year-old son, Dad goes into gun frenzy; Dad shot by cops (Columbus, Ohio)

It seems that UNNAMED DAD was another one of those gun-obsessed nutcases who shouldn't have been getting child visitation. While the 12-year-old son was visiting with the father (court ordered?), dad apparently got into some sort of paranoid mood where he was getting out all his guns and ammo. Something about this scene scared the son enough to telephone his mother who then called the police. When the police approached Dad's residence, he appeared at the door with a weapon. The police fired, and Dad was shot. He's in serious condition.

If Dad survives, I wonder if the courts will pull his visitation. Maybe not--stranger things have happened.

Child’s Call To Mom Ends In Police-Involved Shooting

By Donna Willis Web Content Coordinator
Published: January 3, 2010
Updated: January 4, 2010

COLUMBUS, Ohio—A Columbus police officer shot a man Sunday night after CPD received a trouble call from the mother of a 12-year-old boy.

Columbus police were called to the Subway Restaurant at Lockbourne and Smith roads on the city’s Southwest Side at about 8:16 p.m. Sunday.

A woman called CPD and said her 12-year-old son was visiting his father who lived next door to the restaurant.

The woman said her son called her and said his father has gotten out his guns and ammunition and he was scared, according to a police report.

“The son called the mom. She called police and said, ‘I will meet you at the Subway parking lot because the house is right next to it,‘ “ CPD Public Information Officer Betty Schwab said.

Officers responded and met the mother before approaching the residence at 1863 Lockbourne Rd.

The suspect appeared at the front door with a weapon as officers approached the home, according to a police report.

Two officers fired their weapons, and the suspect was shot once in the chest.

He was transported to Grant Medical Center in serious condition.

The officers were not injured, and the 12-year-old was not harmed.

CPD continued to investigate, and detectives were in the process of interviewing witnesses as well as the involved officers.

The suspect’s identity and the identities of the officers were not released currently.