Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dad, a former death row inmate, arrested for hitting son with baseball bat (Baxter, Minnesota)

It's pretty apparent to me that dad KENNY RICHEY is bad news. He was formerly on death row in Ohio for the arson death of a 2-year-old girl, but he got his conviction overturned. Back home in Scotland, he was accused of attacking an elderly man with a metal pipe. Now he's been charged with second degree assault (among other things) for breaking down the bedroom door of his adult son and attacking him with a baseball bat.

From Charles' Crime/Punishment Blog:

Former Death Row Inmate Arrested
Tuesday January 12, 2010

A Scottish citizen who was once an hour away from execution in Ohio has been arrested in Minnesota for allegedly hitting his son with a baseball bat. Kenny Richey was charged with second degree assault, making threats and domestic assault.

Richey, who left the United States after his release from death row, was arrested in his son's home in Baxter, Minnesota.

Richey spent two decades on death row convicted of setting a fire that killed a 2-year-old girl. Richey always maintained his innocence, but he also said he was too drunk to remember what happened on the night of June 30, 1986.

Richey's conviction was overturned in 2007 and in January 2008 he was released from prison in a plea deal with prosecutors. He returned to his native Scotland, but was allowed back into the U.S. as long as he stayed out of Putnam County, Ohio where the fire took place.

Attacked Son With Baseball Bat

Richey, 45, was arrested in Baxter on Jan. 6 after an incident in which he and his 24-year-old son were wrestling playfully. Sean Richey told police that his father got angry and attacked him. He hid in his bedroom after his father threatened to kill him.

According to police reports, Richey broke down the door to his son's bedroom and hit him with a baseball bat.

The incident is not Richey's first brush with the law since being released from prison. Last year, while living with his mother in Scotland, he was accused of attacking a 64-year-old man with a metal pipe. Charges in that case were dropped when a witness failed to confirm the victim's story.