Friday, May 29, 2015

Dad charged with abusing 2-week-old son (Tempe, Arizona)

Yet another "frustrated" dad who couldn't even manage to watch the baby for 20 minutes without bashing him. This one is identified as ANTHONY ESTRADA.

2-week-old baby injured, dad faces child abuse charge

Posted: May 27, 2015 7:50 PM EDT
Updated: May 28, 2015 10:19 AM EDT
By Phil Benson

TEMPE, AZ (KPHO/KTVK) - A teenage father was arrested in Tempe on Tuesday after his 2-week-old son suffered injuries consistent with shaken baby syndrome, a court document stated

Anthony Estrada, 19, and Savionne Schartzbauer arrived at Banner Desert Hospital on Memorial Day with their infant, who suffered several bruises and abrasions and was unresponsive.

The baby was intubated to assist him with his breathing.

The couple said their child was “acting weird” prior to their arrival but their statement was vague, according to a probable cause statement.

They said their baby had hit his head on a table in the home while the infant's diaper was changed, court paperwork stated.

Schartzbauer said he left the infant in the care of Estrada for about 20 minutes while she went to buy some bandages, the document said.

When she returned she said her son's eyes were swollen shut.

A medical social worker at the hospital told officers that the baby had bruises and abrasions on his left cheek, a scratch on his lower left arm, an abrasion on his left upper thigh and three small cuts on his right hand.

When officers questioned Estrada he admitted to “losing control of his son,” court paperwork stated.

He said his son hit his head on a wooden table. Estrada admitted to biting his son's right hand and said he felt “frustrated while carrying his son, when the child was crying.”

During a separate interview, Estrada admitted to holding his son and that the baby fell on a couch, rolled and hit a board which was in the frame of a couch, police said. But a doctor told officers the fall doesn't match the infant's significant brain injury.

On Tuesday, the arresting officer spoke with the doctor again who said the baby was suffering from traumatic injuries to all four quadrants of his brain. The boy's injuries were not allowing proper blood flow to the brain.

The infant required two blood transfusions.