Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Dad confesses in suffocation death of 6-month-old daughter (Lexington, South Carolina)

Dad CHRISTOPHER JASON ELROD has finally confessed to suffocating his six-month-old daughter to death last December. Dad says he was "agitated." He is charged with homicide by child abuse.

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=77414&catid=2

Mother in Mourning: "She Didn't Deserve This"
Lexington (WLTX)-- A Midlands mother has been mourning her child for months and now she's finding out how her baby died.

Her husband is behind bars, charged with killing his six-month-old daughter last December.
Officials say he suffocated her by holding her too close to his chest. Then, he lied to police.

"She was absolutely perfect and exceeded every expectation that I ever had," Regan Elrod says of her daughter, Calen.

She had always wanted a baby girl.

"It was just unbelievable that I had a little girl that was mine," Regan says. "I just wanted to have a mother-daughter relationship with her like I have with my mom."

Calen Cade Elrod died in December when she was only six-months old, and for the last nine months Regan thought it was an accident.

"We found that the father had taken and held the child close to his chest and suffocated the child," Lexington County Sheriff James Metts says. The father is 30-year-old Christopher Jason Elrod, Regan's husband of five years. Sheriff Metts says Elrod was agitated with the baby and initially lied to police. He's charged with homicide by child abuse.

"We got conflicting information and after we were able to run him on the polygraph and he flunked the polygraph on friday, he finally admitted to what we believed happened in this particular case," Metts says.

"You never think anything will happen to your children and you never ever think that it would happen the way it did," Regan says.

Regan will always remember her baby girl.

"She was wonderful, she was everything I ever wanted and more and I would give anything to have her back and she didn't deserve this," Regan says.

Her necklace is a small but constant reminder of Calen.

"She'll always be in my heart and when anyone ever asks me how many children I have, I tell them I have three, just that one's an angel," Regan says.

Now Regan is struggling to support her two boys, without a job. She is in the process of setting up a fund in honor of Calen.