Sunday, June 29, 2014

Dad charged with beating 15-year-old son, handcuffing him to table saw in basement for a week; what happened to the mother? (Chicago, Illinois)

Notice that there is mention of a "brother's house" that the tortured boy managed to escape to. Notice that the child welfare people are discussing whether to put him in "another home."

Notice what is totally missing from this account: ANY MENTION OF THIS BOY'S MOTHER.

Had she been living in the house, she certainly would have been aware that something was amiss. Then she would have been arrested for failure to protect. But that didn't happen. I don't think she was there.

Let's look at this picture. Dad JOSE QUILABQUI isn't "just" abusive. This guy is a systematic sadist who tortured this kid for a week. The only reason the abuse stopped is that a workman in the house took pity on the boy and allowed him to escape. . If not, this could have gone on until this boy died.

Think about it. Since abusive fathers are nearly always abusive to the mothers, this should be huge red flag. But it isn't for this reporter. Do we know that Mom is alive? Has she been shut of the picture because of violence or intimidation? Is she "missing"? Is she deceased? If so, do we know if it's from natural causes?

Notice that nobody here is asking any of those questions.

Police: Father, godfather handcuffed son to table saw for week

June 26, 2014|By Rosemary Regina Sobol | Tribune reporter

Jose Quilabaqui, 40, and Carlos Quizhpi, 53, are charged with keeping Quilabaqui's 15-year-old son chained to a table saw for a week.

A 15-year-old boy was handcuffed to a table saw and beaten for a week by his father and godfather in the Albany Park neighborhood, according to police.

Jose Quilabaqui, 40 and Carlos Quizhpi, 53 were both charged with single felony counts of kidnapping.

The boy said he finally escaped the Albany Park business on the Northwest Side on Monday when a worker for one of the men removed screws to the back door of the basement where he was being kept, according to a police report.

The boy was then driven to his brother's home about 2 1/2 miles away, where police were called and the boy taken to a hospital for treatment of bruises to his upper thighs and other injuries, the report said.

The two men, relatives of the boy, were taken into custody Wednesday afternoon. They were charged Thursday. They are scheduled to appear in bond court Friday morning.

The police report does not say what set off the alleged incident, which began on June 16 when the boy was forced into the basement and handcuffed to the table saw and left alone for the night.

The two men came back the next morning, ordered him to take off his clothes and used a garden hose and a bucket of ice water to bathe him, the report said. "The victim was then ordered to put his clothes on and begin construction work in the basement," the report said.

The father fed him only once that day and placed him back into handcuffs and chained to him to a table saw for the night, police said. The boy slept on a piece of drywall, the report said.

The men repeated the abuse every day until this past Monday. On Saturday, the men "took turns hitting victim with a belt on his upper right thigh and buttocks, causing him to have a large bruised area," the report said.

The boy told police a third man, a construction worker, gave him small amounts of food and finally removed the screws to the back door to help him get out after the two other men left, the report said.

Around 7 p.m. Monday, the worker drove the boy to his brother's home in the 2900 block of West School Street, where the brother called 911 and reported the incident.

A Chicago Fire Department ambulance went to the home and took the boy to Our Lady of the Resurrection Hospital, where he was treated and released to the care of the brother while state child welfare officials determine if he should be placed in another home, the report said.

Police took pictures of the boy's injuries and the handcuffs and chain used to hold him, the report said.

Quilabaqui lives in the 3200 block of North Richmond Avenue and Quizhpi lives in the 4900 block of North Whipple Avenue, police said. Both are due in bond court Friday.