Monday, December 7, 2015

Custodial dad charged with capital murder over one year after 2-year-old son found dead (Little Rock, Arkansas)

As often happens, dad JEFFERY CLIFTON's custodial status has to be teased out of this account. Notice that the mother was alive and living in another location while Daddy and the gal pal were abusing the boy and trying to figure out how to hide his body once he died from his injuries. Of course there is not one word on how this violent father got his "rights" or who gave them. And certainly no word on who allowed him to maintain custody despite ongoing abuse.

See the Killer Dads and Custody list for Arkansas.

Details released of father's arrest in death of missing son; ex-girlfriend arrested
Published December 03, 2015·
Associated Press

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Arkansas 2-year-old Malik Drummond died three days before a false disappearance story was reported to Searcy Police last year, according to an affidavit for his father's arrest that was released Thursday.

The affidavit and other documents were unsealed by a White County Circuit Court judge a day after police said they found Malik's body in a rural area about 50 miles northeast of where he was reported missing from his father's home in November 2014. The toddler's father, Jeffery Clifton, was being held without bond at the White County jail after being arrested late Tuesday on charges of capital murder and abuse of a corpse.

Searcy Police Sgt. Steve Hernandez also announced that Clifton's ex-girlfriend, 27-year-old Lesley Marcotte, was arrested on a preliminary charge of hindering his arrest. According to a second affidavit from police, Marcotte talked to investigators on the one-year anniversary of Malik's reported disappearance.

On Nov. 23, 2014, a neighbor called 911 to report that the toddler had walked out the screen door after seeing Clifton and Marcotte searching outside for the boy. Marcotte told police she was giving another child a bath and Clifton was sleeping when Malik walked out and disappeared.

In the documents released Thursday, Marcotte told police Clifton had beaten Malik on several occasions, and two beatings on Nov. 20, 2014, led to fatal injuries. She said the beatings came after the boy refused to eat his dinner then again after he drank another child's drink.

Later that night, Marcotte said the boy was acting strangely, but Clifton refused to take him to the hospital because of extensive bruising on Malik's body. She said she tried CPR later that night when he started making choking noises. She said Clifton took the boy outside and came back a few minutes later and told her he had died.

She told authorities Clifton planned the fake disappearance story and threatened to implicate Marcotte if the police were contacted.

Marcotte said Clifton went to work with Malik's body in the back of his pickup truck the next day, and later borrowed his brother's SUV and took the body to dispose of it early on Nov. 23.

It wasn't clear if Clifton had an attorney. Clifton's father, John Clifton, said the family had no immediate comment when contacted by The Associated Press, and a call Wednesday to a phone number believed to belong to Malik's mother rang unanswered.

The affidavit for Clifton's arrest also includes interviews with witnesses who are not identified, one of whom recorded conversations with Clifton about the child's death and the disposal of his body.

The documents do not say how police knew to search the abandoned lot where the remains they believe are Malik's were found Wednesday. The body has been sent to the Arkansas State Crime Lab for final identification, but Hernandez said he does not know how long that process will take.