Sunday, October 4, 2015

Dad charged in assault on 3-month-old son (Ogden, Utah)

Dad is identified as CHRISTOPHER ANDERSON.

Ogden father suspected of shaking baby, causing hemorrhages

Friday , October 02, 2015 - 6:29 PM

By TAYLOR HINTZ Standard-Examiner staff

OGDEN -- An Ogden man accused of shaking his infant son hard enough to cause several hemorrhages and broken ribs appeared before Judge Michael DiReda Thursday, Oct. 1, for a preliminary hearing.

Christopher Anderson, 21, is charged with child abuse and intentionally inflicting serious physical injury, second-degree felonies. He was booked into Weber County Jail July 28 and made bail Aug. 4 through a $10,000 bond posted by Hy & Mike’s Bail Bonds.

On July 21, South Ogden police responded to an emergency call from Christopher Anderson, 21, at his apartment in the area of 3700 South Grant Ave. There, Anderson was found rubbing his 3-month-old infant’s chest and told law enforcement that his son was having a hard time breathing to the point his body had gone limp. Police, however, found the infant was not responsive, according to court documents. Anderson was the only person home with the infant.

Anderson said the child was napping when he heard him struggling for air. The father said he picked the boy up and shook him to “bring him out of it.” He also attempted to do CPR, according to the statement.

The child was transported first to McKay Dee Hospital and then to Primary Children’s Medical Center via LifeFlight. According to the statement, the infant continued to have seizures for several days as a result of the abuse.

Karen Hansen, a doctor with Safe and Healthy Families, treated the child and found a subdural hemorrhage, possibly two weeks old, and another fresh hemorrhage on the right side closer to the brain. A retinal study also found hemorrhaging in both eyes. Hansen advised that medical issues were symptoms of “shaken baby syndrome.”.

A skeletal exam also found two broken ribs, according to the statement. Hansen said the long-term effects are still unknown but the significant brain damage will cause the child to have medical problems longterm.

George Zamora, the baby’s grandfather, said although the boy is doing better since going to the hospital, he still suffers from the traumatic event.

“Because of the brain trauma, he forgot how to swallow. He can’t take anything by mouth, he has to have a feeding tube,” Zamora said. “There’s some paralysis on his left side and his legs aren’t working as well as the doctors were hoping.” Zamora, who is now caring for the child after a no contact order was issued against Anderson, also said he hopes that awareness of his grandson’s injuries will help bring justice against Anderson.

“Second of all, we want people to know that this is a problem. There’s ways you can handle things without hurting a baby,“ Zamora said. ”But first of all, I want people to know about this so Carter can receive justice. This isn’t something he should have gone through.“

  Anderson is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing 9 a.m. Dec. 4.