Saturday, September 19, 2015

Dad charged with killing 7-month-old daughter; mom speaks out (Perth, Australia)

Dad identified as PAUL COSGROVE.

Seven-month-old Lily's mother speaks of heartbreak over daughter's death
Date September 18, 2015

Ray Sparvell

The mother of a baby girl, who died from grievous injuries allegedly inflicted by her father, has spoken of her heartbreak.

Emma Jane Cosgrove struggled to speak as she recounted the family tragedy to reporters at the family home on Thursday.

"I put Lily to bed on Sunday night and didn't disturb her before leaving for work on Monday morning," she said.

Ms Cosgrove said she called an ambulance when she returned home Monday night and found Lily unconscious.

Detectives from the Major Crime Squad were later called to Princess Margaret Hospital to investigate the injuries the little girl had sustained.

Seven-month-old Lily died on Wednesday - the same day her 23-year-old father Paul Cosgrove appeared at Perth Magistrates Court charged with aggravated grievous bodily harm.

"No one could save her," Ms Cosgrove said. "She died because she had brain damage.

"I'm in shock really. I still can't believe my baby girl's not here... that this morning I didn't see her face looking at me with a smile first thing in the morning... smiling at me because it was morning and she was just so happy to be alive to see her mummy," she said.

Ms Cosgrove said she saw Lily's smiling face every time she closed her eyes.

"I'm always going to remember that she loved me more than anyone and I loved her more than anyone. We were best mates. I just loved every minute of being her mum."

"That's why she went. She was just too perfect and too happy and too good [for this world]. She just didn't belong here.

"I want everyone to pray that she's okay. That she's happy and not fretting for me and that she and I will be together again when it's my turn and we will never, ever be apart again."

Lily's grandmother Angela Cosgrove said Lily had just learned to wave and kiss people goodbye. She said the family was "devastated" by the loss of "Lilly-Pilly".

"She was the happiest, smiliest baby I've ever met. She charmed everyone."

Mr Cosgrove's charge may be reviewed following a post-mortem examination.

He has been remanded in custody and will next appear at Perth Magistrates Court on September 30.