Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Dad stabs mom to death, injures 18-year-old daughter (Sydney, Australia)

Despite all the horrors this woman has lived through, Dad just couldn't let her live out the rest of her life in peace, could he? And look, he has "supporters." So typical of the usual response to male violence.

Dad is identified as HAYDAR HAYDAR.


Mother-of-four Salwa Haydar stabbed to death, husband refused bail

Date March 31, 2015 - 1:20PM

Emma Partridge

A man has been charged with stabbing his wife to death and injuring his teenage daughter during a violent domestic incident at a southern Sydney home on Monday night.

Haydar Haydar, 58, faced court on Tuesday morning after the mother of his four children, Salwa Haydar, 45, died from a number of stab wounds in their Bexley home.

The couple's 18-year-old daughter, Ola, is believed to have called triple-0 about 6.45pm to say that her mother had been stabbed and was unconscious.

The teenager was later taken to St George Hospital suffering serious injuries to her hand, police said. Mr Haydar did not apply for bail in Kogarah Local Court on Tuesday and it was formally refused. He briefly looked to a group of supporters in court, who left in tears after police led him away.

Devastated relatives from Mrs Haydar's village in Lebanon congregated at the end of Valda Street on Monday night, watching on as police and forensic officers taped off the red brick villa where the couple lived.

"She was from our village and she was a cousin to me," one man told Fairfax Media. "She was a nice woman, a hard worker," he said.

Mr Haydar handed himself in to Kogarah police station on Monday night where he was later charged with murder and intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Relatives say the couple had only recently moved into the quiet cul-de-sac which backs onto Bardwell Valley Parklands.

In 2007 Mrs Haydar spoke to Fairfax Media about the day her mother Layla was killed by a missile attack as she tried to escape her village in Lebanon.

At the time she said her husband, Mr Haydar, was watching the news and learned that a convoy, of which her family was part, had been attacked.

"It was as if it was just yesterday," she said. "It is still very hard on everyone. The people there are still suffering."

In July 2006, several vehicles left the village of Aitaroun, one of the most bombed areas in south-east Lebanon, near the Israeli border.

She said at the time her brother saw the first two cars ahead of them get attacked and realised their lives were in danger.

"They ran for safety in a small field," she said. "A missile fell and killed my mum and injured my sister-in-law and niece."

The family returned to the car and rushed the injured to Najm hospital, on the southern edge of Tyre.

A year later, Mrs Haydar said her family was still struggling to come to terms with the devastation.

Salwa's sister-in-law underwent a number of operations for an injured arm while her niece will need plastic surgery.

Magistrate Christine Haskett adjourned Mr Haydar's case until April 9 at Central Local Court.