Thursday, June 25, 2009

Caretaking boyfriend arrested in beating death of 4-year-old (Sacramento, California)

JONATHAN LAMAR PERRY was supposed to be watching his girlfriend's 4-year-old son and his 18-month-old sister while the mom took the 3-year-old to the hospital for an illness. Perry apparently couldn't take the stresses of babysitting, so he beat the 4-year-old, who died of massive head and internal injuries.

Mother's boyfriend arrested in beating death of 4-year-old

By Sam Stanton and Marjie Lundstrom

Published: Wednesday, Jul. 23, 2008 - 11:02 am
Last Modified: Wednesday, Jul. 23, 2008 - 5:54 pm

A 26-year-old former security guard has been arrested in the beating death of his girlfriend's 4-year-old son, sheriff's officials said today.

Sheriff's officials say little Jahmaurae Allen was beaten to death inside his mother's Foothill Farms apartment in the 4400 block of Oakhollow Drive early Monday.

Deputies and paramedics arrived at the apartment complex off Roseville Road after receiving a 911 call about an unconscious child at 3:41 a.m. Monday, sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran said.

The boy, who was home with his 18-month-old sister and his mother's boyfriend, 26-year-old Jonathan Lamar Perry, was rushed to Mercy San Juan Hospital with massive head and internal injuries, Curran said.

At 9:30 that night, the boy was transferred to UC Davis Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 11:10 p.m.

The boy's mother, 26-year-old Tiffany Lacy, had left the apartment earlier Monday to take her other son, a 3-year-old, to the hospital for an illness, according to sources familiar with the case.
Detectives continued their questioning of Perry and arrested him at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the home of a relative in Antioch, Curran said.

He was being held without bail at the Sacramento County Jail pending his arraignment Thursday on charges of murder and child endangerment.

Tiffany Lacy could not be located for comment today. No one answered the door at her ground-floor apartment, where a child's broken plastic basketball hoop, a plastic baseball bat and a Fisher-Price toy lawnmower sat in the tiny yard.

Neighbors said they did not know the residents of the apartment. Some said they had seen sheriff's cars and ambulances at the scene early Monday but knew nothing about the case.
A relative of Lacy's reached at home in Louisiana said the family had no comment on the case. Efforts to reach Perry's family were unsuccessful.

He was licensed by the state on Sept. 6, 2001, as a security guard but his license expired two years later and was never renewed. He had no disciplinary problems during that time, records show, and was not licensed to carry a weapon.