Friday, March 5, 2010

Dad arrested for shooting death of mom; 3-week-old old daughter in critical condition (Mount Airy, Ohio)

Dad SHAMON MCDAVIS has been arrested for the fatal shooting of his former girlfriend, the mother of their 3-week-old daughter. The daughter is also in critical condition, as the bullet grazed her head and fractured her skull.

So why are the Cincinnati police already downplaying this horror? Listen to this inanities of this cop: Daddy "went off during an argument" but he didn't "mean to shoot the little girl."

Really? And you know this how? This guy is a cold-blooded killer who AT BEST recklessly endangered his own daughter's life through his violence. It wasn't an "argument." This is a possible double homicide. A mother who was gunned down while she was holding her newborn baby. And the police start prattling on about how the poor dear didn't mean it? How it was it just "an argument" that got out of hand? Spare me.

Is this jerk had walked into an office building and shot two people dead, would we still be making these utterly stupid comments?

Arrest made in mother's shooting death
3-week-old girl grazed by bullet is in critical condition

By Sharon Coolidge and Jennifer Baker • • March 4, 2010

MOUNT AIRY – A mother of four was fatally shot and the 3-week-old daughter she was holding seriously injured Thursday, both at the hands of the woman’s on-again, off-again boyfriend who was the infant’s father, Cincinnati police said.

Shamon McDavis, 28, was quickly identified as the shooter; he was arrested Thursday afternoon on a charge of murder in the death of Kelli Walton and a charge of felonious assault in the child’s injury.

Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Julia Stautberg set bond for McDavis at $3 million Friday morning. The families of McDavis and Walton packed the courtroom. Walton's mother, Mary Walton, collapsed onto a relative in the hallway, crying out, "My baby, my baby."

Walton, 26, was pronounced dead inside her Hawaiian Terrace apartment after the 3 a.m. shooting.

The little girl, Kloe, remains in critical but stable condition at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center after a bullet grazed her head, Homicide Sgt. Bob Liston said.

The infant suffered a skull fracture and needed stitches, he said.

Walton’s other three young children – two girls, 9 and 3, and a boy, 6 – were home at the time, but did not witness the shooting, Liston said.

“McDavis went off during an argument, one of many,” Liston said. “He didn’t mean to shoot the little girl.”

McDavis works for the company that supplies food for the Reds. He and Walton had an on-and-off relationship and were arguing about money and others things she wanted for her children, according to Liston.

That’s when he pulled out the weapon.

McDavis has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, but “Why he’s carrying a gun, I don’t know,” Liston said.

McDavis does not have a felony criminal record. His only prior contact with the law is a series of traffic citations and a disorderly conduct charge dating to 2001. He is scheduled to appear in Hamilton County Municipal Court Friday morning, when bond will be set.

Officers were alerted to the shooting by Walton’s mother, Mary Walton, who called 911.

Mary Walton told a dispatcher that one of her granddaughters woke her up to say she had heard two gunshots. It’s unclear if Mary Walton lived in the same building as her daughter or just nearby.

Several hysterical people, some sounding like children, wailed in the background as Walton called 911.

“I think my daughter is dead,” Mary Walton said. “Oh no, please Lord. Please, Jesus. Come and get my baby.”

Witnesses told police they saw a car race away from the area after the shooting, which led them to McDavis.

At the home Thursday morning several of Walton’s relatives cried in anguish outside her apartment, calling her name and holding onto each other.

Walton recently graduated from Southern Ohio College and planned to start a new job in the medical field on Saturday, according to media reports.

Hamilton County child caseworkers have one prior case involving the family, said Brian Gregg, spokesman for Hamilton County Department of Job and Family Services.

Police records show Walton was stabbed in November, her attacker never caught. In the Nov. 17 attack at her home, she told officers masked men broke into the house, demanded money and stabbed her before fleeing.

Now this.

Neighbors woke up Thursday to find the apartment building roped off with yellow caution tape, a police evidence truck parked out front.

“It is spooky to know somebody would kill a mother with a baby in her hands,” Vanessa Warner, 48, said as she walked past the victim’s apartment building to catch a bus.

Staff writer Carrie Whitaker contributed to this report.