Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Judge weighs fate of custodial dad in tot's drowning deaths (Wayne County, Michigan)

This case beautifully illustrates the motivations that push many fathers into pursuing custody, and why the children are harmed or killed after they enter the father's possession. In fact, as pointed out below, abuser dads regard the kids as little more than "pawns" in the father's dispute with the mother (or mothers as was the case here). Or "trophies" that (unfortunately) "wouldn't stay quietly on the shelf."  The fact that this father "fought" for custody of his son, and to be "primary caretaker" of his daughter, doesn't contradict the basic thesis at all. It simply shows how unrelenting abusive fathers can be in their desire to abuse and control the mother. And how the same abusers have very little patience, love, or understanding of young children once they "own" them.

And now, because unnamed judge(s) gave dad STEVEN NICHOLSON custody of two young children, he is now on trial for killing them. And now yet another judge is weighing his fate. How easy it would have been to prevent these children's deaths: Stop giving custody to abusive fathers.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110426/NEWS02/110426030/Judge-weighs-fate-Allen-Park-father-tots-drowning-deaths?odyssey=nav%7Chead

Judge weighs fate of Allen Park father in tots' drowning deaths11:52 AM, Apr. 26, 2011
BY MELANIE D. SCOTT
DETROIT FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Wayne County Circuit Judge Vera Massey Jones is deliberating after attorneys presented their closing arguments this morning in a case against an Allen Park man accused in the drowning deaths of his toddlers.

Steven Nicholson shook his head as Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Carin Goldfarb accused him of killing 15-month-old Ella Stafford and 13-month-old Johnathan Sanderlin and trying to make it appear the children drowned themselves.

“The scene was staged,” Goldfarb told the court. “The shower curtain was undisturbed and he said he was sleeping but the bed doesn’t appear to have been slept in.”

Goldfarb also accused Nicholson of using the children as pawns in ongoing disputes with Tayler Stafford, the mother of Ella and Sarah McGee, the mother of Johnathan.

Jones will decide if Nicholson is guilty or not guilty after Nicholson’s attorney asked for a bench trial, waiving his client’s right to a jury.

“The children were the defendant’s trophies, but they wouldn’t stay quietly on the shelf,” Goldfarb said. “They were living, crying, pooping little babies and that’s where it all fell apart.”

But Nicholson’s attorney, William Winters III, said the prosecution’s claims were ridiculous.

“Mr. Nicholson fought for six months to get custody of Johnathan and was the primary caretaker of Ella,” Winters said. “He’s not a part-time father, but a full-time father.”

Nicholson, 27, is on trial and has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder, two counts of felony murder and two counts of child abuse. Nicholson faces life in prison for first degree and felony murder are punishable by life in prison.

Winters has argued that Nicholson woke up during the early morning hours of Oct. 19 to discover the floor of his apartment soaked with water and entered his bathroom to find Johnathan face down in the tub and Ella lying on the bathroom floor.


“It’s more conceivable that this was a horrible accident,” Winters said. “Was it staged? It doesn’t make sense according to their theory.”

Earlier in the trial the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s chief pathologist Dr. Carl Schmidt testified that he believed the toddlers were intentionally drowned then scalded and that Johnathan’s burns covered 80% of his body while Ella’s covered 25% of her body.

Winters disputed Schmidt’s examination during his closing argument today and questioned the doctor’s accuracy.

Custodial dad's murder trial starts; 5-month-old son died in 2009 (Mount Prospect, Illinois)

Notice that dad IBRAHIM KIBAYASI became custodial after his wife, the baby's mom, was deported to Tanzania for overstaying her visa. So naturally, we have a father who became "frustrated" with the demands of infant care and what not, who apparently killed the baby.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110418/news/704189866/
  
Article updated: 4/18/2011 7:08 PM
Mt. Prospect father’s murder trial starts
By Barbara Vitello

The courtroom was nearly empty Monday morning as the bench trial of a Mount Prospect man accused of killing his child began in Rolling Meadows.

Authorities charged Ibrahim Kibayasi, 31, with first-degree murder in the 2009 death of his 5-month-old son, Dylan, which prosecutors say resulted from Kibayasi shaking the child.

“In any shaken baby case there are varying degrees of severity,” said Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Mike Clarke during his opening statement. “In this case there is no question his death was due to violent, traumatic shaking.”

Prosecutors said the infant’s mother is in Tanzania, where she was deported after the baby’s death for overstaying her visa.

Prosecutors intend to call at least three medical professionals who will testify that young Dylan Kibayasi sustained a subdural hematoma that resulted in bleeding inside the head, which cut off blood flow and oxygen to the victim’s brain, Clarke said.

“These injuries were presented in the absence of external trauma,” said Clarke, who told Judge Hyman Riebman that meant the infant’s injuries were not accidental.

Clarke said Kibayasi shook his son because he was frustrated that he could not find a job to support his family.

This case is more than an example of shaken baby syndrome, Clarke said; “It’s a classic case of first-degree murder.”

Defense attorney Robert Callahan disputed prosectors’ claims.

“Mr. Kibayasi had no intention of hurting his child,” said Callahan who described his client as a “loving and caring parent.”

“He didn’t mean to kill his 5-month-old child,” said Callahan.

Furthermore, there is no way to tell when the injuries took place, said Callahan, intimating that they could have occurred hours or as long as days earlier.

Kibayasi remains in Cook County jail on a $2 million bail.

Baby loses sight in one eye; dad arrested on aggravated assault charges (Patterson, New Jersey)

Dad JUSTIN BENITEZ has been charged with aggravated assault after his 5-month-old daughter was hospitalized with a detached retina and brain damage. The baby is in critical condition.  Seems Daddy was babysitting when he violently shook the baby.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crime_courts/041911_Paterson_shaken_baby_loses_sight_in_one_eye.html

Paterson shaken baby loses sight in one eye Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Last updated: Tuesday April 19, 2011, 6:33 PM
BY MARLENE NAANES
The Record
STAFF WRITER

A 5-month-old Paterson infant suffering from shaken baby syndrome is blind in one eye, and it could be weeks before doctors know the full extent of her injuries.

A doctor told investigators that the girl is blind from a detached retina, Sgt. Bert Ribeiro said. The girl was in critical but stable condition at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center.

Police arrested the girl’s father after doctors discovered on Thursday that she was suffering from the syndrome. The baby’s mother brought the infant girl into St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center about 1 a.m. Thursday after the baby was not as alert as she normally would be.

Police charged the father, whom they identified as Justin Benitez, 26, with two counts of aggravated assault.

Benitez, who lived with the baby, was under guard at a local hospital after saying he did not want to live and scratching up his wrists, Ribeiro said. It was unclear what he used to hurt himself.

The charges stem from an alleged assault on Thursday and another incident on March 21 when the baby was taken to St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center.

Investigators did not release details about the incidents but said the mother was not present when the alleged assault took place.

The Division of Youth and Family Services was notified of both incidents, but Paterson police were not called in March, Rodriguez said. It is unclear why.

DYFS did not comment, citing privacy laws.

Shaken baby syndrome is a serious brain injury that occurs when someone shakes an infant, usually to stop the baby from crying, according to the state Department of Children and Families.

Shaking a baby can cause bleeding on the brain, which can lead to death, brain damage and developmental delays.

Dad gets life for killing 5-month-old son (Lexington County, South Carolina)

Notice that dad LEXIE DIAL III tried the "clumsy daddy syndrome" defense (e.g. he "fell" while holding the baby), but the jury didn't buy that a healthy 19-year-old dude just happened to fall. He's been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted on homicide charges. No mention of where Mom was while Daddy was teaching a 5-month-old "to walk" (which is one feeble alibi). Was she working while daddy did "caretaking?" Who knows...

INVISIBLE MOTHER ALERT.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/04/19/1785230/father-gets-life-for-killing-5.html

Wednesday, Apr. 20, 2011
Father gets life for killing 5-month-old son

Eleventh Circuit Judge Knox McMahon sentenced 19-year-old Lexie Dial III to life in prison for homicide by child abuse Tuesday in a Lexington County courtroom.

Dial was found guilty last week by a Lexington County jury of killing his 5-month-old son, Joshua, by shaking him to death.

The incident happened in January 2010. Since then, Dial has been in jail awaiting trial.

The case was prosecuted by the Attorney General’s office.

During the trial, Dial testified that injuries to the baby resulted from a fall he had while carrying the infant.

However, after his arrest, he told police that the injuries happened when he was teaching the child to walk. Prosecutors argued he had become so frustrated he began shaking the baby, who suffered massive brain trauma.

-- John Monk

Dad indicted on 2nd-degree murder charges for death of 4-month-old daughter (Lexington Park, Maryland)

Dad BRIAN T. HART has been indicted on 2nd-degree murder charges for the death of his 4-month-old daughter. The baby suffered head injuries and rib fractures "during multiple incidents." So obviously, this sh** abused this infant more than once. Sick....

http://www.somdnews.com/stories/04202011/entetop161255_32320.shtml

Father indicted in death of infant
Man charged again after original case was dismissed
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
By JOHN WHARTON

Staff writer

St. Mary's grand jurors have indicted a Lexington Park man on charges including second-degree murder from his infant son's death last summer, renewing a case that earlier had been dismissed.

St. Mary's detectives confirmed this week that they served Brian T. Hart through a summons with the new charging document, which includes an initial district court charge of child abuse resulting in death.

St. Mary's prosecutors dismissed the child abuse charge against the suspect, now 22, last November as they awaited an autopsy report. Hart's lawyer had expressed hope at that time that once prosecutors received and reviewed the autopsy report, they would decide not to further pursue the matter.

Robert C. Bonsib, the defense lawyer, said Tuesday of the filing of the indictment, "I think it's unfortunate that they chose to do that. The cause of death is going to be an issue in the case. It was clearly not the result of any criminal conduct by Mr. Hart."

Detectives alleged last August that Hart's 4-month-old baby girl suffered head injuries and fractured ribs during multiple incidents before she died that month.

Brooke Leigh Hart was born prematurely in March 2010, the investigators report, and she remained at a Baltimore hospital's neonatal intensive care unit for more than three months before she was released to her parents at their home in the Glenn Forest housing area of Patuxent River Naval Air Station. The child was taken to St. Mary's Hospital in early August, court papers state, and she was transferred to the Georgetown University Medical Center, where she died five days later.

An autopsy on the baby's body found seven rib fractures on her left side, three rib fractures on her right side and head injuries including a subdural hematoma, according to a statement of probable cause filed by Cpl. William Raddatz of the St. Mary's Bureau of Criminal Investigations. The detective wrote in charging papers that Brian Hart admitted picking the baby up "with great force" and shaking her to get her to go to sleep, and in a separate incident, again picking her up forcefully, allowing her head to snap back.

Hart, originally jailed in lieu of $500,000 bond, was released on a $5,000 cash bond after a court hearing where his lawyer argued that the child's death was at worst "an accident out of an instant frustration."

Monday, April 25, 2011

Police: Teen yanks out teeth after custodial dad denies dental care (Easton, Pennsylvania)

So how did dad FRANCISCO TORRES get custody? Was this ordered by a court? And what happened to this boy's mother? Why is the boy now is the custody of social services?

INVISIBLE MOTHER ALERT.

http://www.wfmz.com/lehighvalleynews/27617141/detail.html

Police: Teen Yanks Out Teeth After Dad Denies Dental Care
Joscelyn Moes | Reporter
Posted: 6:40 pm EDT April 20, 2011

EASTON, Pa. -- Police say an Easton teen yanked out his own teeth, after his father refused to take him to a dentist.

Now the father, who's facing child endangerment charges, is speaking out.

"He's not a bad kid, man. But he just likes to lie and he likes to run," said Francisco Torres.

Police say the boy moved into the Centre Street home last summer to live with his father, 41-year-old Francisco Torres.

A short time later, they say, the boy started complaining about his teeth.

"Yeah, he did told me that one of his tooth bother him. One of his tooth, not two. So, I said ok we're gonna take you to the dentist," said Torres.

Torres says he wasn't sure his insurance would work.

"When I interviewed him he was able to produce a valid insurance card. He said his problem was with transportation. He wasn't able to get to the dentist's office," said Easton police detective Christopher Miller.

Then, in January, police say the boy yanked out two of his teeth with a pair of pliers.

"Then, things happen. He took out this tooth and they blamin' me. I didn't know nothing about," said Torres.

Police say the boy told them Torres still refused to take him to the dentist.

Finally, they say the boy spoke to someone who alerted Northampton County Children and Youth.

Authorities say the boy has since had emergency dental surgery to remove tiny fragments of his teeth and repair his gums.

"The actual dentist report indicated he could've had a widespread infection or possibly death, worst case scenario," said Det. Miller.

The boy is now in the custody of Northampton County Children and Youth.

Torres faces endangerment charges.

Dad assaults mom who wanted "peaceable" child custody arrangement (Stockton, England, United Kingdom)

Once again, we see criminal behavior on the part of a father airbrushed away as part of a "stormy relationship." But notice that the mother was actually bending over backwards to be accommodating to this creep (as is typical of abuse victims). She was looking for a "peaceable arrangment" that would allow dad ANTHONY JOHNSON to be a "good father."

Anthony Johnson responded to her overtures by punching her in the face, and breaking her jaw in two places.

Fathers rights people are always blaming violence on the "frustration" of poor daddies who are blocked from seeing their children by Evil, Alienating Mothers. It's all lies. What research shows is that these guys are all about controlling and hurting the mother for leaving their sorry @SS. Child custody is just a way to continue their abuse agenda.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/2011/04/22/violent-stockton-dad-anthony-johnson-jailed-for-attack-84229-28563047/

Violent Stockton dad Anthony Johnson jailed for attackby Andrew Pain, Evening Gazette
Apr 22 2011

A VIOLENT young man has been jailed after punching the mother of his two children leaving her with a jaw broken in two places.

Teesside Crown Court heard that Anthony Johnson and his partner Sarah Elliott had a stormy relationship and that trouble erupted during a meeting to discuss their two young children, aged four and two.

Prosecutor Sue Jacobs said: “There was then an argument started when she told him the relationship was over. She went to leave the house and he locked her in.

“She then sat in the window to attract the attention of a passer by, thereafter while in that position there was a struggle and he bit her finger and then punched her to the right side of the face with sufficient force to break her jaw.”

Johnson, 25, of Poppy Lane, Stockton, refused to accept responsibility for his actions and was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm following a trial last month.

At his sentencing hearing his barrister Duncan McReddie said: “The thrust of my mitigation is to try and persuade My Lord to keep the inevitable prison sentence to a minimum.

“He now accepts throwing the punch that broke Sarah Elliott’s jaw.”

He added: “This man is not beyond redemption.”

The Recorder of Middlesbrough Judge Peter Fox QC told Johnson: “She was seeking a peaceable arrangement so that you could be a good father to the children even if you couldn’t continue to live with her.

“But as on too many other occasions in your short life you became violent.

“You first of all bit her hand and then struck her what must have been a heavy blow because it broke her jaw in two places.”

The judge jailed him for two years with an extra 39 weeks on top for breaching a suspended sentence order.