Sunday, July 5, 2009

Rapist dad "forgiven"--17 years after his death (Ireland, United Kingdom)

Father WILLIAM ISLOP started molesting his daughter when she was nine; by the time she was 12, he was raping her. Seventeen years after Dad's death, the daughter says she has forgiven him. If by forgiveness, she means that she has found some peace in her life, than that's all well and good. If it means letting Daddy off the hook, then no. Although I have not read the book yet, I don't see any forgiveness for the social workers who valued a father's "rights" over a little girl's safety and well-being. Why they would FORCE a little girl to visit her rapist daddy in jail is nothing short of torture. And letting him go home to start abusing her again? Beyond repulsive. But that's the way the system worked--and still works too much of the time.


http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/lifestyle/real-life-stories/2009/07/05/exclusive-victim-forgives-her-father-for-years-of-sexual-abuse-78057-21496453/

Exclusive: Victim forgives her father for years of sexual abuse

Lizzie McGlynn, 44, was beaten and raped by builder dad William Hislop, who died 17 years ago, from the age of nine.

Lizzie, who has written a book about her torment, said: "Through my life I've been let down by those supposed to protect me. Although I'll always carry the scars, I was able to forgive him because a priest told me that as he lay dying he confessed.

"It made me feel pity for what he was. But I can never forgive the system for letting us down."

Three years ago she told the Sunday Mail about her horrific childhood.

Social workers forced Lizzie to visit Hislop in jail while he was awaiting trial for abusing her and her three brothers and two sisters. Her bid to sue Council was time-barred and she only got half the compensation due.

Her mum Catherine - once stabbed by Hislop - died aged 55 of cancer in 1996. Hislop died aged 53 in 1992 of stomach cancer.

Married Lizzie, who now lives in Berkshire, said: "I was just nine when the sexual abuse started. By the time I was 12, he was raping me.

"When dad was released from prison I wasn't removed. I was expected to stay to be raped again.".

I Forgive You Daddy is published by Headline tomorrow.