Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Dad jailed for assaulting 3-month-old son (Lancaster, Pennsylvania)

Dad is identified as JESSE GENE JONES. Notice that this father--who freely admits to bashing in the head of his infant son--is still legally allowed to see his 3-year-old son.

Who's being discriminated against again?

Father jailed for assault of infant

Intelligencer Journal
Lancaster New Era
Updated Jun 05, 2012 22:01

Staff Writer

A 3-month-old boy from Mount Joy Township was shaken and beaten last year, causing a skull fracture and brain injury, according to court testimony.

The boy's father, Jesse Gene Jones, admitted Tuesday at sentencing that he caused the injuries.

But Lancaster County Judge Margaret Miller didn't berate or scold the 31-year-old father for his actions on April 12, 2011.

"It will not make me any less upset," Miller told Jones, dressed in jeans and a long-sleeve T-shirt. "You know what you have done."

Jones nodded his head and accepted Miller's sentence: 5 to 10 years in state prison.

Jones pleaded guilty to felony aggravated assault and was sentenced immediately, in accordance with a plea agreement.

Assistant District Attorney Randall Miller told the judge that the baby boy was shaken and had his head struck against a hard surface at least once.

The boy was rushed to Hershey Medical Center, where doctors found an array of serious injuries consistent with abuse.

"Are any of those facts in dispute?" the judge asked Jones.

He shook his head and said, "No, your honor."

Jones' parents watched from the courtroom gallery. His mother cried as the prosecutor described the crime.

"It would be very easy for this court to berate you for the obvious," the judge told Jones. "You will have a lot of making up to do over the course of your life — and you know what I mean."

Jones has another son, age 3, according to testimony.

He is legally allowed to see that boy. For now, the judge ordered him to have no contact with the victim.

At Jones' request, the judge allowed him to petition the court to lift that order at some point down the road.

When asked for explanation or other comments, Jones simply shook his head and declined.

"For what it's worth, he's very remorseful," his attorney, Dennis Dougherty, told the judge.

Investigators outlined the crime this way:

Jones was left alone with his youngest son when the older son was taken to the doctor's office.

The mother of both boys returned home to find the infant "listless" and having difficulty breathing. The woman drove the boy to Hershey Medical Center.

In a police interview, Jones told detectives he struck the boy's face with his hands.

Doctors found a skull fracture, along with brain injury and bruising caused by "abusive head trauma."

The boy continues to improve, but doctors said the full effect of the abuse might not become known until he starts attending school.