Custodial dad THOMAS ANTHONY BOONE and the step face aggravated child abuse charges for the willful torture, abuse and caging of his 10-year-old son.
So if this boy was enrolled in elementary school, how come nobody saw or reported anything? Unbelievable.
Note that the State of Florida (DCF) will retain custody for now, but will recommend that the child be placed with his grandmother. Why? Because "investigators were unable to locate the biological mother." Now it's perfectly possible that Mom ran off to become a country music star. But may I respectfully suggest that if the father treated this child in this way, that it is extremely likely that he treated the mother in a similar fashion? That she may have had to flee for her life? Or that she may be one of those thousands of women who "disappear" in domestic violence incidents every year? I think that somebody needs to put some serious time into finding her, not just the usual perfunctory efforts that DCF is famous for. And as much as I hate to say it, I would also suggest a DNA test against unidentified remains.
Boy will remain in custody of state as home is sought
By JASON WITZ
Published: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 1:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 12:47 a.m.
PUNTA GORDA - The 10-year-old boy who was reportedly locked in his bedroom and forced to sleep in his own bodily waste will remain in protective custody, a judge ordered Tuesday.
Thomas Boone Judge Peter Bell granted a petition allowing the Department of Children and Families to maintain oversight of the child until a suitable home is found.
The boy's father, Thomas Anthony Boone, sat silently in the courtroom as his attorney accepted the order and waived his client's right to a trial on the matter.
Boone, 38, and his wife, Kimberly Sue Boone, 39, were charged Sunday with three counts of aggravated child abuse after an investigation concluded the Port Charlotte couple "willfully abused, tortured" and "caged" the boy inside his room.
Authorities said they uncovered the "deplorable" living conditions Saturday while searching for the boy, who had been reported missing after he slipped out of his room and hid from his parents.
Detectives searched the home in the 700 block of Seabold Avenue and found that the child's bedroom had no furniture aside from a soiled box spring mattress. The bare concrete floor was also covered in urine and feces, the Sheriff's Office reported.
The boy, who was found sleeping in the master bathroom sink cabinet, told investigators he had been living in the locked bedroom with limited provisions since December, according to an arrest report.
Sheriff Bill Cameron said detectives were able to verify that the boy attended a local elementary school through May. School officials could not be reached for comment.
A DCF spokeswoman said the agency had investigated an abuse complaint at the home earlier this year, but she would not discuss the case, citing confidentiality laws.
The agency will recommend placing the boy with his grandmother, as investigators were unable to locate the biological mother.
Thomas and Kimberly Boone, who also attended Tuesday's hearing, were released from the Charlotte County jail on $15,000 bail. Per court order, neither can not have contact with the boy. They declined comment Tuesday.
A review hearing is set for Thursday morning.