Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Dad gets 2 years in prison for assaulting 7-week-old infant son; dad was "irritated" because baby cried at night (Lake Havasu City, Colorado)

Can we safely conclude that dad RICHARD F. BARTLETT is an @$$shole? Beating up a baby because he cried and woke you up at night...Maybe Bubba will be waking you up in your new prison home at night?

http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2010/01/05/news/doc4b42c3a8ee818990628389.txt

Havasu dad gets two years in child abuse case

STAFF REPORTS
Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:07 AM MST

KINGMAN — Richard F. Bartlett, 21, of Lake Havasu City, was sentenced to two years Monday in Mohave County Superior Court.

According to Deputy County Attorney Jeremy Huss, the maximum to which Bartlett could have been sentenced was 2 1/2 years.

Bartlett was convicted in early December on felony offenses including aggravated assault-domestic violence and child abuse-domestic violence after an incident last year when his infant son was injured.

The incident occurred March 17, 2008, when Bartlett allegedly caused injuries to the femur, rib and collarbone of his 7-week-old infant son, David Bartlett, after reportedly handling him in a rough manner.

The incident happened in the early morning hours that day at a residence in the 3400 block of Tomahawk Drive.

In January 2009, Mohave County Superior Court Judge Steven F. Conn denied a motion to suppress Bartlett’s confession to police from court proceedings.

The night of his arrest, Bartlett reportedly told police he awoke around midnight or 1 a.m. to the sound of his son, David, crying “at the top of his lungs,” court documents show. “I’m irritated, I grab him, I squeeze him against my chest and I’m him just like: David, stop crying!” Bartlett was quoted as saying.

“I started squeezing him harder and harder and I started…manhandling him more, and I took him to the table, tossed him down.” Bartlett also told police he heard a thud as the back of the baby’s head hit the table.

“I was upset, angry, so I just took his diaper off, wiped him…I lift up his legs and I’m not being gentle with him. I lift up his lefts, put them down, then I took the diaper and he just started screaming at the top of his lungs.

“That’s when I took his legs and I put them back further than they needed to go back. I forced them back, put pressure on them, that’s when I heard the pop,” Bartlett was quoted as saying.