Thursday, March 3, 2016

Dad charged in fatal beating of 4-month-old son during custody/visitation time found mentally competent to stand trial (Jefferson County, Kentucky)

As typically happens, news articles don't commonly come out and say that a child abuse situation involved custody/visitation. But this one clearly does. The parents do not live together. Daddy beat this child within one inch on his life, then dumped him at Mom's house. He later died in the hospital.

As often happens, there is no explanation here as to whether dad DANIEL COX had court-awarded custody/visitation rights, or whether Mom was just trying to accomodate him by providing him with visitation "willingly"--perhaps to avoid a custody fight with a violent man, who are often remarkably adept at getting custody.

See the Killer Dads and Custody list for Kentucky.

Father, 35, who 'beat his infant son to death in his car seat while he was driving' will face trial after being found mentally competent
Daniel Cox, 35, of Kentucky, was arrested last August after witnesses say they saw him beating his four-month old sitting in car seat
Jayceon Chrystie arrived at his mother's home covered in black and blue marks, with no pulse and with eye swollen shot
Infant died two days later at a hospital from traumatic injury to the head
Cox was determined mentally able to stand trial after a psychiatric evaluation

By Associated Press and Reporter
Published: 12:24 EST, 2 March 2016 | Updated: 17:58 EST, 2 March 2016

A Kentucky man charged in his four-month-old son's beating death has been found competent to stand trial in the child's slaying.

Daniel Cox, 35, was determined mentally able to stand trial following a psychiatric evaluation by experts at the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center.

Cox is charged with murder-domestic violence in the death of Jayceon Chrystie last summer.

Court records state that witnesses called 911 on August 6 after seeing a man driving down a highway beating an infant in a car seat.

Cox left the unresponsive Jayceon with the baby's mother, Kimberly Ann Chrystie, who called police. Authorities say the child was black and blue, had no pulse and his eye was swollen shut.

Jayceon died two days later at a hospital. Jefferson County Deputy Coroner Bob Fraction said the cause of death was 'inflicted traumatic injury to the head.'

Witness Dena Stevenson told WLKY-TV back in August that she and her husband grew concerned and called 911 after they saw a man, later identified as Daniel Cox, hitting a child in a car seat several times in the head and chest while he was driving his gold Mercury Grand Marquis in Radcliff.

About 15 minutes after officers began searching for the car, police received a call from Kimberly Ann Chrystie's home.

In a court filing, Chrystie said Cox, who did not live with her and their son, returned the child 'all beat up' after having him for only a couple of hours.

Emergency medics tried to resuscitate the baby, who was taken to Hardin Memorial Hospital.

Police wrote that Jayceon's left eye was swollen shut, his right cheek was swollen and he had 'major bruising on his back and buttocks.'

Daniel Cox has been held in the Grayson County Detention Center on $500,000 cash bond since his arrest six months ago.

The News-Enterprise reported he is due back in court for a pretrial conference on April 26. The date of his trial has not been set yet.